Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Atlanta and a me and 2 buddies are looking to book a week long epic mtb trip. We’d consider something we can drive to or something more ambitious that would require a flight. We have travel bags.

We’re solid int/adv and able to handle anything the the SE. We’ve been to Bentonville and Vegas and would definitely consider going back. We’ve talked about Vancouver and Whistler but concerned that could be too advanced for us. All the videos I’ve seen look gnarly!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Not sure of your timeline, but if you want to hit stuff during the winter, a tour of the Arizona and/or Southern Utah would be ideal.

If you based yourself in Phoenix (well one of the burbs ideally) You can ride South Mountain, Hawes, and some others in town. Then you're only 2 hours from a day in Sedona, and the same for Tucson. You can ride lots of tech looped rides, or if you want bikepack the AZT in southern AZ. Not sure what kind of riding your looking for.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton is pretty amazing. Me and buddies have been going every year for 10 day trip until pandemic hit. There's a huge range of trails, you will have no problems finding good trails to ride. What you see in videos will be the gnarliest since thats the most impresive on video. And the trails are well maintained and will usually have work arounds and are well documented. 10 days barely scratches the trails. Oh, and we don't ride the park. For trail riding I'd recommend checking out Squamish in addition to Whistler, I almost like Squamish more.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
You can get a bunch of epic riding in one state: Colorado. Terrain and geology varies, and you can get different types of rides depending on what you after. Epic scenery, too.

Riding season is wrapping up in much of the higher elevations. If you're going now, you may be SOL in some areas that would otherwise be great.

...and fellow east coaster here. Regardless of how fit you are here, higher elevations have less O2. I find my fitness almost cut in half at higher elevations.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
To stay close check out Pisgah as mentioned. You can camp and swim and ride every day and not get close to doing all the trails. There is some other stuff around that locals can tell you more about. Can head up to Asheville to and get som good food and beers.

CO is fine to ride and you could come out here and get some rides in the next month easy. It is just starting to be my favorite season to ride. Desert is year round. Then head on over to Moab. Then to AZ.

If I wanted to make a trip and could drive after thats what I would do personally.
CO>UT>AZ

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did a 10 day trip to Brian Head Utah a number of years ago. Flew into Las Vegas and drove to Brian Head, flights to Vegas are so much cheaper than anywhere in Utah, at the time at least. Lots of options to ride. It's a little off the beaten path and not as famous or as crowded as Moab and others in Utah. The terrain and types of trails varied so much from area to area. Also close to Bryce Canyon and places to take some day hikes. Been on quite a few MTB trips this is in the top 3 easily.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you been to Pisgah? You are not far...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
We definitely will hit pisgah at some point but that's more of a weekend thing. But I'm sure there's no doubt we could take a week and not see everything at Pisgah and Dupont.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure of your timeline, but if you want to hit stuff during the winter, a tour of the Arizona and/or Southern Utah would be ideal.
That's definitely in the running. I'm going to Sedona in 3 weeks and bringing my Giant. I'll be with the girlfriend so will squeeze in two 4 hour rides. Do you think Phoenix and Sedona would be worthy of a week long trip for mtb only?

While we're at it, can anybody recommend two 4 hour Sedona rides? I think west sedona tour would be one but looking for another, a solid blue trail would be good.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CO is fine to ride and you could come out here and get some rides in the next month easy. It is just starting to be my favorite season to ride. Desert is year round. Then head on over to Moab. Then to AZ.
What would you hit in CO given 5 days to ride? I assume we'd fly into Denver?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a 10 day trip to Brian Head Utah a number of years ago. Flew into Las Vegas and drove to Brian Head, flights to Vegas are so much cheaper than anywhere in Utah, at the time at least. Lots of options to ride. It's a little off the beaten path and not as famous or as crowded as Moab and others in Utah. The terrain and types of trails varied so much from area to area. Also close to Bryce Canyon and places to take some day hikes. Been on quite a few MTB trips this is in the top 3 easily.
Definitely would consider that...fly into Vegas and do Moab and Hurricane. Cottonwood canyon in Vegas is fine but would add that as an after thought, think Utah is better. And I'll look into Brian Head, thanks.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
Also have Prescott which isn't terribly far from Sedona

I like to go to the Hurricane/St George area a couple times a year to go ride. I can't think of anything there too epic for a single ride, but lots of shorter rides all close together.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Washington is a very worthy destination these days. We have some of the best dirt anywhere. And a huge variety of trails and terrain.
Could we so Seattle and then get into Vancouver or would you recommend WA for a week?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That's definitely in the running. I'm going to Sedona in 3 weeks and bringing my Giant. I'll be with the girlfriend so will squeeze in two 4 hour rides. Do you think Phoenix and Sedona would be worthy of a week long trip for mtb only?

While we're at it, can anybody recommend two 4 hour Sedona rides? I think west sedona tour would be one but looking for another, a solid blue trail would be good.
There's plenty of stuff to ride for a week. Just depends on what you want/like to ride. If your looking for shuttle laps or park jumps, we don't have that here. Phoenix is almost all natural tech or lots of XC miles. So if you want a few big climb/tech days, with some mileage days enjoying the 70*-85* temps in January, then yeah its worth a week. The great thing about Phoenix, is the airport is a few miles from South Mountain in the middle of town. If you fly, you can cut out tons of driving. Land be at a vacation rental within an hour.

Here's some trails you can look up on YouTube to see if it tickles your fancy.
  • 50 Year in north Tucson, and if your staying near South Mountain, its only a 1.5-2hr drive down there.
  • National at South Mountain
  • Red Mountain Rush, Hawes
  • Goat Camp, White Tanks (a mile or two of this one is double black, but the ride out has a great single track remote feeling)

For Sedona, Llama, Slim Shady, is pretty much Sedona Trails defined. You get great views of Bell Rock, and others.

Then there's this on the West Side of Sedona. A little less techy, but still tons of fun and views.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There’s more than enough amazing riding here for a week. Or even a lifetime. The trails here range from basic and easy up to terrifying and everything in between. Plus, we have great beer here.
What's the best time of year for a trip to WA? The reason for this thread is that these are co-workers and we're bidding vacation for 2022 now believe it or not.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.