Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know my parents are fairly over protective of me when it comes to biking and stuff. How should I convince them to let me go to the Chalk Creek Stampede? My dad said that I had to choose one race, either the DH Superfly in Fort Collins or Chalk Creek but I want to do both. Or could I get a ride up with someone from the Springs? I'd still need to convince them to let me do that too but might have a better chance...

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
You need to approach this with Calvin's technique (Calvin & Hobbes)

You: "Dad, you know, in some places hookers and meth are considered a right of passage on a guy's 17th birthday - and I was thinking... hookers seems pretty cool, and meth has to be good fun, otherwise people wouldn't lose their teeth / jobs / families / lives etc... over it. So I was thinking..."

Dad: "WHAT THE F**K! NO - you cannot have hookers and meth! What is wrong with you?!"

You: "Well okay Dad, I'm sure you are right, could I hit both of the races we talked about instead?"

Dad: "Of course you can son."

Only I don't seem to remember it working out this way for Calvin so you'll have to report back on your findings.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
s1ngletrack said:
You need to approach this with Calvin's technique (Calvin & Hobbes)

You: "Dad, you know, in some places hookers and meth are considered a right of passage on a guy's 17th birthday - and I was thinking... hookers seems pretty cool, and meth has to be good fun, otherwise people wouldn't lose their teeth / jobs / families / lives etc... over it. So I was thinking..."

Dad: "WHAT THE F**K! NO - you cannot have hookers and meth! What is wrong with you?!"

You: "Well okay Dad, I'm sure you are right, could I hit both of the races we talked about instead?"

Dad: "Of course you can son."

Only I don't seem to remember it working out this way for Calvin so you'll have to report back on your findings.
Lol. I don't think that'll work. :p Is there any way to guilt them into letting me go?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
As most of you know my parents are fairly over protective of me when it comes to biking and stuff. How should I convince them to let me go to the Chalk Creek Stampede? My dad said that I had to choose one race, either the DH Superfly in Fort Collins or Chalk Creek but I want to do both. Or could I get a ride up with someone from the Springs? I'd still need to convince them to let me do that too but might have a better chance...
Why don't they want you to do both?

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Kitty said:
Why don't they want you to do both?
Because my dad doesn't want to drive me to both and my parents are over protective enough that they won't let me drive up on my own and will doubtedly let me drive up with a friend. They say that they need to be there to drive me to the hospital which makes me think they have soo much confidence in me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Because my dad doesn't want to drive me to both and my parents are over protective enough that they won't let me drive up on my own and will doubtedly let me drive up with a friend. They say that they need to be there to drive me to the hospital which makes me think they have soo much confidence in me. :rolleyes:
Your rigid jump bike isn't legal at a NORBA 4X race I didn't think...That should make this whole thing easy...I'll look up the rules and post them back in a bit..I could be wrong. ;)

I am... http://www.usacycling.org/forms/2005_NORBA_rulebook.pdf
Just needs 26 in wheels and 3 working gears and 2 brakes...So nevermind :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I'm sure they have plenty of confidence in you; otherwise they wouldn't let you race at all. And it kind of makes sense that they want to be there in case of an accident. It sounds like they just care about you lot.

If I were you, I'd thank them. Seriously. I'd tell them somthing like ...

"Mom, Dad, thanks for supporting my biking and driving me to races. You give a lot of time and money to allow me to enjoy the sport that I love. And even though get frustrated and think you're being over protective at times, I know it's just because you care about me and are being good parents. Not every kid has that, and I appreciate it a lot.

I promise that if you would reconsider and allow me to drive to the race with (whoever your friend is), I'll ride extra carefully. In the very unlikely event that I get hurt (your friend) can drive me to get medical treatment. And if you give me a copy of the insurance card, I can even make sure to get the treatment from the right provider. The point is, you're raising me to be a responsible young adult, and thanks to you, I'm becoming a responsible young adult. I would like to opportunity to ride both races. But it's entirely your decision, and whatever you decide, I respect it and am thankful to you for all you do."

Then, go outside and discreetly throw up. Just get these sappy words out of your mouth and into their heads. And after you say this, shut up and wait for their answer. Patiently. Don't hound them. It's your best chance of getting to ride both races.

Good luck.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Kitty said:
I'm sure they have plenty of confidence in you; otherwise they wouldn't let you race at all. And it kind of makes sense that they want to be there in case of an accident. It sounds like they just care about you lot.

If I were you, I'd thank them. Seriously. I'd tell them somthing like ...

"Mom, Dad, thanks for supporting my biking and driving me to races. You give a lot of time and money to allow me to enjoy the sport that I love. And even though get frustrated and think you're being over protective at times, I know it's just because you care about me and are being good parents. Not every kid has that, and I appreciate it a lot.

I promise that if you would reconsider and allow me to drive to the race with (whoever your friend is), I'll ride extra carefully. In the very unlikely event that I get hurt (your friend) can drive me to get medical treatment. And if you give me a copy of the insurance card, I can even make sure to get the treatment from the right provider. The point is, you're raising me to be a responsible young adult, and thanks to you, I'm becoming a responsible young adult. I would like to opportunity to ride both races. But it's entirely your decision, and whatever you decide, I respect it and am thankful to you for all you do."

Then, go outside and discreetly throw up. Just get these sappy words out of your mouth and into their heads. And after you say this, shut up and wait for their answer. Patiently. Don't hound them. It's your best chance of getting to ride both races.

Good luck.
Lol, I'm not mad at them or anything for sure and I do appreciate their concern. Those are actually good ideas and who knows they might work. I'll find out int he next few days. :p

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theforsakencheezit said:
Your rigid jump bike isn't legal at a NORBA 4X race I didn't think...That should make this whole thing easy...I'll look up the rules and post them back in a bit..I could be wrong. ;)

I am... http://www.usacycling.org/forms/2005_NORBA_rulebook.pdf
Just needs 26 in wheels and 3 working gears and 2 brakes...So nevermind :D
I had it cleared up 100% over at www.racemsc.com :D

Now I just gotta slap a V-brake on the front wheel so it looks like I'll be using it. :p

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Lol, I'm not mad at them or anything for sure and I do appreciate their concern. Those are actually good ideas and who knows they might work. I'll find out int he next few days. :p
Tony- your very mature for your age and MBing is certainly more healthy then hanging out getting in trouble, I'm sure your parents see this so if you stick to your guns about attending the races then they will eventually break down and agree to drive you, or maybe they will get sick of you bugging them and let you drive yourself-even better! -Rick

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you do end up only being able to get to one race this weekend, I would choose the Nathrop race if you are interested in racing this year. It will be run more like a professional race than the Fort Collins race. It sounds like the DH race is a push-up-the-hill-and-get-one-run-down-then-you're-done kinda thing, which sounds like a fun, laid-back format, though, so that's why I'm going to that one as well if I can't practice on the Nathrop course on Saturday.

·
That one dude
142 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
LOL. Probably. :p
The coolest part about the Road 34 gig won't be the DH race, but rather the DJ jam afterwards. There will be a bunch of good riders who will be going OFF, not to mention the food, beer, jager, and live music. And girlies...hopefully :D Of course, I wouldn't recommend telling much of that to the parentals ;)

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
big_johnson said:
The coolest part about the Road 34 gig won't be the DH race, but rather the DJ jam afterwards. There will be a bunch of good riders who will be going OFF, not to mention the food, beer, jager, and live music. And girlies...hopefully :D Of course, I wouldn't recommend telling much of that to the parentals ;)
Lol. Except a parent will be with me. :p Should be uh...interesting.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Lol. Except a parent will be with me. :p Should be uh...interesting.
tony your dad just has trouble letting go. you may have to wait until after high school to do your thing. but your parents mean well and care and some kids would be jealous of you for that. show your dad you are responsible this summer (like say get a job) and maybe he will let up.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dream4est said:
tony your dad just has trouble letting go. you may have to wait until after high school to do your thing. but your parents mean well and care and some kids would be jealous of you for that. show your dad you are responsible this summer (like say get a job) and maybe he will let up.
Oh I know Mark. It's definitely not something to get me mad over just a bit frustrating at times ya know? Hopefully I'll be getting a job soon. Would you uh... want to hire a trail maker at your land? ;)

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
big_johnson said:
Maybe it'll remind them of their college days. I bet they can still party :D
Lol. That'd be a bit scary to see. :p

·
Registered
619 Posts
HEY! thats twice now.....

your supposed to be my yard boy! now quit hiring yourself out to everyone else :D

hello kitty, sound advice, now im thinking, you're either a great kid and your parents think your a little angel, or your a great mom and your kids think your a big angel, or your a really good BS'er

HA!

seriously, tony, i dunno what to say, i pissed my 'rents off right and left, the only place mom had to take me was court, and dad always said, "whatever you do, just remember you have to be ready for what ever the consequences are"

thanks dad!

anyways, get over here and start cutting my grass...

both peices!

mike, "when can i ride my bike again?", wildman

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.