Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. seems like a great place with lots of knowledge about bikes. i am not a extreme rider by any means but i do enjoy getting out on the trails by my house as often as possible. i have a jeep comanche bike(i know peice of junk saving up for a trek 4300) anyway recently i have been having problems with shifting through my front gears. the shifter is extremely tight and you can hardly even turn it with two hands almost like the cable is to tight or something. if i pull out on the front derailer with my finger and twist the shifter at the same time then it works fine but i obviously cant do this while riding. i dont know whether the cable is rusted up or something the bike is fairly new but i am planning to try a new cable. let me know what you guys think.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd say the cable and/or housing should be looked at, especially if the derailleur itself moves freely by hand and the shifter doesn't bind when not under tension. Try going to parktool.com's repair help section for derailleur adjustment and go from there...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If I understand you correctly, the twister works fine when there's little or no tension on the cable. If that's true it's either cable friction or the FD itself.

Try to actuate the FD by pushing on the arm where the cable attaches or by pulling the cable away from the frame where it runs exposed. If that's also stiff it's either the FD or possibly the last turn or noodle before the derailleur. If pulling the wire from the frame works the FD easily, you've isolated the problem to the housing between the shifter and the first fulcrum (housing stop).

BTW- if you have a steel noodle near the BB, these tend to rust and bind the cables. Use an old piece of brake cable to burnish the loop clean by pulling it back and forth inside like a shoeshine rag. For problems in the housings, usually the only solution is replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys i will probably go out to get a new cable tonight. the derailer moves freely and easily by hand and the twish shifter also works fine if it doesnt have all that tension on it so im thinking it must be in the cable.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
hondarancher4435 said:
thanks for the help guys i will probably go out to get a new cable tonight. the derailer moves freely and easily by hand and the twish shifter also works fine if it doesnt have all that tension on it so im thinking it must be in the cable.
Might be just the housing, might be both, might be a better idea to disassemble and inspect, then buy...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.