Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought a frame that came with WTB Team headset. This one has internal cups and came in a plastic bag (taken of a new bike). Unfortunately, there are no installation instruction and I want to be sure that it is installed correctly.
Looking for any schematics or installation instructions, or scanned image if you can provide it.
Thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Jasko said:
Recently I bought a frame that came with WTB Team headset. This one has internal cups and came in a plastic bag (taken of a new bike). Unfortunately, there are no installation instruction and I want to be sure that it is installed correctly.
Looking for any schematics or installation instructions, or scanned image if you can provide it.
Thanks!
This isn't the correct forum for this. But anywho, the installation of the headset is quite simple.

There is a big, round, silver piece, which is flat on one side, and has a rise on the other. This is called the headset race. Then you need the bearings. These are probably cartridge bearings which are loosely sitting inside of the cups. The are identical, so either one will work. Then you have the cup. If one cup is different from the other, the bigger one will go on the bottom. But I think they are the same. Now you reverse the process, the cup (the other one), the bearing (again, the other one), and now the upper race. It will probably be a metal ring with a slit in it. You ought to be able to figure out the rest.

You most likely won't be able to install the headset yourself, unless you'll get creative. The cups need to be pressed into the frame. A bike shop will charge you $5-$15 for that. Some may do it for free, if you're a frequent customer or a friend of someone. The race has to be put on the fork crown. You slide it to the bottom of the steerer tube and bang it in place. A PVC pipe is a good tool for that. If there is an old race on your fork, you'll need to remove it. Gently tap it off with a screwdriver and a hammer. Cover the tip of the screwdriver with a piece of electrical tape or some other tape, to reduce the possibility of gouging up the old race.

_MK

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!
I will post it to Drivetrain forum, if that is the right one since I couldn't find WTB forum. I didn't get any feedback from WTB support or sales so far.
Anyway, this is a headset that uses internal cups in the frame, Jamis Dakar XC. I will also try with Jamis support, if I can get any help.
My concerns are which side should bearings face in the cup and if there are dust seals that need to be installed, but not included with the headset.
My LBS can install the crown race, probably $5-10, for them it takes 2 minutes. Also, I can cut the fork tube easily.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Jasko said:
Thanks for the reply!
I will post it to Drivetrain forum, if that is the right one since I couldn't find WTB forum. I didn't get any feedback from WTB support or sales so far.
Anyway, this is a headset that uses internal cups in the frame, Jamis Dakar XC. I will also try with Jamis support, if I can get any help.
My concerns are which side should bearings face in the cup and if there are dust seals that need to be installed, but not included with the headset.
My LBS can install the crown race, probably $5-10, for them it takes 2 minutes. Also, I can cut the fork tube easily.
Yes, there are cups built into the frame, but you still need to have headset cups pressed in on top of those, as these cups wear out and you can't replace the head tube, at least, not quite so easily. Unless your frame has these cups already pressed in.

The way the bearings face is the solid metal part towards the headtube and the plastic part out. This headset is pretty basic, so I doubt there is any elaborate sealing involved. Have you looked at the picture on WTB's website of their internal headset? It may answer some of your questions.

_MK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.