Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought a Jamis Dakar XC '05 frame that came with WTB Team headset. This one has internal cups and headset came in a plastic bag. Unfortunately, there are no installation instruction and I want to be sure that it is installed correctly.
Looking for any help, schematics or installation instructions, or scanned image if you can provide it.
My concerns are:
- which side bearings should face inside the cup
- are there any dust seals that come with this headset
Otherwise, do you think this is a decent headset or should I look for a different one.
Thanks!

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Take it to a shop...unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the tools leave it to the pros.

Luckily, quality headsets are relatively cheap!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not sure about the quality of the headset, but you should definately take it to the shop to get it installed properly. Your LBS probably has the right tools to correctly install it and they'll make sure that it's not mis-aligned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
RipTide01 said:
I don't know how good that headset is, but for future reference you can use any standard 1 1/8" threadless headset on that frame.
According to the 2005 Jamis Catalog, the headset that came standard on the Dakar XCs (Pro/Expert/Comp) was the "WTB Team, Internal Cup type, 1 1/8" - exactly what he has. Looking at Cane Creek's website, the head tube inside diameters are different for the different types of headsets: http://www.canecreek.com/headsets_tech.html

1) standard headset (or classic in Cane Creek terminology) = 34mm
2) internal headset (or ZeroStack in Cane Creek terminology) = 44mm
3) integrated headset = 41mm

Will a standard headset work on a frame designed for an internal headset?

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After checking cups from both classic (WTB Momentum) and internal (WTB Team) headset directly on the frame, it is obvious that Dakar XC '05 requires internal cups, that need wider opening in the frame.

WTB Team has sealed bearings and actually the shape of bearings keep it in the cup pretty tight, so I'm convinced that they are going to keep the fork tight and prevent flexing. That is the main concern from Chris King regarding internal cups. Since these bearings are sealed, there are no dust seals like on WTB Momentum.

So, the only remaining mystery is that the spacing between the cup and the crown race is little bit larger than I would expect, maybe 0.5 mm. So it is possible that some dirt and water can go inside...

Once I finish the setup, I will post pictures.

·
Registered
148 Posts
any updates?

Not to hijack the thread, but how did this turn out? I am interested because I am getting an '06 XC comp frame that doesn't have a headset with it and need one. From what I have seen it should be a zero stack, right? I know the lower models used a standard one, but it seems like the comp/expert/pro levels used a zero.

On a side note, anyone know why WTB doesn't have any info on their website? Or are they just a "brand" on the headset and it is actually made by someone else?

Thanks,
James

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I did not reply on time. WTB Team turned out really well. That is not a surprise, since Jamis puts the same headset on their complete bikes. This headset was easy to install without any instructions. You first install cups in the frame and then put bearings, which are sealed. Very simple. I am riding mainly moderate XC, so not quite sure if the headset would be the best for serious downhill - maybe yes, maybe no. So far, it is not loose and keeps the fork and wheel great.

The minus is that WTB does not acknowledge existence of this headset, as they make it for OEMs only and do not sell direct. So, if you want documentation and support, you should be fine also with FSA or Cane Creek.

Here are two pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great pics! Thanks for posting them. Did you ever find out if the WTB has a dust seal for the bottom, or have you had any problems with yours? I just got my frame and I was told the headset was incomplete, but from what I can tell the dust seal and maybe a spacer would be the only things missing. I wasnt't sure though because it didn't look like there was a groove in the lower cup to fit one.

I had ordered a Cane Creek ZS-6 (thinking I needed a headset) and it has a seal which is why I am wondering about the WTB. I may change it out but I don't know if I want to bother with it right now. Just wondering how yours turned out for a second opinion before I decide to shelve it or install it.

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I remember, there are no dust seals on WTB Team - the bearings are sealed and fit tightly into the crown race. Since I did not have any installation manual, I cannot be 100% sure. So far, no problems. If something goes wrong I will go for FSA or Cane Creek, so you made a good choice.

·
Ride Responsibly
1,946 Posts
Old thread new question. My son has the Dakar with the 1 1/8 internal WTB headset, pretty sure the headset came with the frame, He had been running a Manitou Black for the first year, now he has a Fox F120. Installed the Fox but am thinking I did it wrong. Without looking at the WTB headset, I removed the lower crown race from the Black and placed it on the Fox, this was a press on race like would be found on most external headsets.Now I am thinking the WTB does not use a press on race and there is an un-needed part in there to mess things up.
Could not find any manual on the WTB site, serious shortcoming on their part IMHO.
Guess I should add there was a lower race in the headset, above and beyond the race I found on the old fork. does the WTB have a press on lower race? If so I pulled a real boner move and have two lower races where there should only be one! Doh

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not quite sure what the problem is with Fox - I also have Manitou Black and had to put the crown race - see the pictures I attached earlier. Between the internal cup and the crown race there is only a sealed bearing. It would help if you post a picture.

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I did install the crown race driving it down with the plastic tube over the steerer tube.
If you look at the first picture I posted carefully, you will see two thin back layers between the frame and the fork - the lower is the crown race and the upper layer belongs to the internal cup. Both are very thin, just a fraction of an inch, probably 1/16 or so.

·
Ride Responsibly
1,946 Posts
And with the race installed on the fork you could see the exposed lower bearings?
This headset also has snap rings holding things together, so I thought the "Crown race" was being held in by the snap ring, thus needing to not be driven onto the crown. So what I have is what appears to be a crown race snap ringed below the bearings and another crown race driven onto the tube. The race the bearings ride on is beveled on the inside (like it was made to fit the external bevel on the driven on race) so I did not stop to think it thru.
Now I am worried that I have two races where I need to have one, BONEHEAD MOVE!
I am thinking the extra race may have came from having the Black on a prior frame and it was left on as the fork was placed on the Jamis.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I posted a thread on the WTB Zero Stack Headset on my 2006 Dakar XC Comp.
You may find it usefull
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6743270#post6743270

LWright,
In case you didn't figure it out by now, the crown race on your fork is right. You need that on the fork, then above that is the snap ring and lower race. So you basically do have 2 lower races, one clipped into the headset, and one on the fork.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.