Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Well never have I ever consider an Ellsworth till just a few months ago. Im still unsure which bike as Im not the agressive rider I once was. My choices are between the Epiphany, Santa Cruz Blur LT2, or the Yetti 575. Now for more agressive riding it may be the Santa Cruz Nomad or the Ellsworth Moment. I would like to know what other riders out there who ridden these bikes & which one did they chose & why? I waiting till later this spring but as of right now I leaning towards the Epiphany. Right around 4 grand is all I plan on spending as Im sure this will get me my dream bike. I know this is an Ellsworth board but all honesty I need to know where my hard earned money should go when it comes to one of these bikes listed

·
Registered
731 Posts
Boy I like All those Bikes you list

I think any way you go those three choices are solid. I have never ridden the Yeti or the Blur but all I have read on them is positive. I can tell you from my experience that the Epiphany is an absolute joy to ride and I love mine. My collection includes a Carbon Stumpjumper, a Motolite Exogrid, and a Rush but time and time again I will grab the Epiphany for all around great plush and capable ride.:) When the Epiphany is dialed in just right it truly rocks aggressive XC/ light mountain. If I am around long enough I plan on replacing my Epiphany with another-- I love the bike.

Attachments

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
This summarizes the whole problem of the world these days.

Having a $4K budget with the options of

Epiphany, Santa Cruz Blur LT2, or the Yetti 575

If this is the normal perception of society, then no wonder it's all messed up.

Dude, just give your money to Tony...he will take care of you.

I feel this is a troll post.

·
Registered
205 Posts
lidarman said:

I disagree, to me this appears a geniune post made by someone interested in buying a new bike. I really don't see anything wrong with that either.

I've seen that liderman jumps to conclusions quickly in a self righteous manner that is off the radar and judgemental. That could easily be percieved that he is not a smart man, when he may well be.

I'm definetly not qualified to answer the original question other than I've ridden and raced an Ellsworth Epiphany in XC Marathons, 24 hour Endurance etc etc for 3 years now. Its a terrific bike and nothing will change that.

It maybe self limiting to say this as I've also ridden a Pivot Mach 5 with DW Link and plenty of other good bikes. I ride with guys on Yetis and other highend bikes but I just like Ellsworth bikes the best. It's not just about buying a bike, its the whole experience. But hey, what would I know.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I like my Moment. I'm an aggressive rider and like to punish the bikes I ride. My main ride is an Intense 6.6. If I was to consider another purchase I would lean towards the Tracer VP. I do not like the way the Nomad handles.

My 2 pennies.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
If those are the only three bikes you are considering...I would choose the Ells or Yeti. There's a lot of other frames/bikes in the $4k market though. All three ride differently to some degree, frankly though...the average rider would be just as fast on any of them on your average trail, overall. They each also have considerable strengths and some weak points. If you are not, as you say, that aggressive then you probably will not need the Nomad. It's a fine trailbike, but overkill if you are not going to be really pushing limits of trailriding. Anyway, shop on...have fun.

Brock...

·
MTB SOCAL
1,459 Posts
I have an 07 Epiphany and an 08 Moment. I love both bikes, but use them for different purposes. The Epi is 26.5 lbs and is set-up more xc. I use it mostly for longer rides and more climbing-intensive rides. My Moment is 29.5 lbs and is definitely more trail / all-mountain. It's set up with wider bars and a 36 TALAS. I use it mostly for aggressive trail riding and rides with more technical descents / drops. I'm sure you will be stoked with either the Epi or the Moment, if you choose an Ellsworth. They both feel plush and pedal amazingly well. I'm sold on Ellsworth bikes and ICT (thus I have 4 Ells bikes). Having said that, however, the other bikes you mentioned are probably excellent bikes as well. You should try to test ride them, if you can.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Definately 3 great bikes. All 3 would give you a great ride. Never riden a yeti myself but I have a work colleague/friend that swears by his for all types of riding.

I tested a blur and a turner 5 spot when i bought my ells and genuinely prefered the Ells because of the always active under all conditions and amazing pedallability of the Ells with no pedal kickback or lock out under braking.

Previously I had only riden single pivots mostly Oranges (I have owned sub 5, Patriot and 224). The ICT design was way way way better than anything I had ridden before. The Ells was also lighter and has proved strong too ( I am 225lbs and ride very aggressively) I broke an Orange swingarm and have had no issues on my Ells.

I am now buying a second Ells a moment, for bigger stuff, enduro downhills etc I did have a look at what options were around but really there was no question for me what make i would go for, Ells was my only choice this time. Partly because I had some queries about ratios and travel etc and contacted Ells to ask and was really impressed by the prompt and honest replies I recieved. I think this shows an intent to build good customer relations.

You will almost certainly get some replies to your post slagging off Ells, their history and Tony Ellsworth himself. Some people have valid reasons for complaint some do not, i genuinely think that Ellsworth have sought to remedy those valid complaints and have stepped up to a level of customer service that is excellent.

My advice, if you can, is to get a proper test ride, you won't be dissapointed with an Ells.

You just need to decide which one, the epi or the moment !!!

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
All three are great bikes and you will likely be happy with whatever you choose. Be sure to demo as many bikes as you can on the trails you ride most often
I have owned many of the bikes in this category and have demoed others. The Yeti was a demo bike that I had for one weekend (3 rides) and it was not for me. It felt over built for my 160 pounds. I owned a BLT for four months and other than the pedal kick back it was a great bike. I sold the BLT for a MotoLite and loved it so much that I purchased a second one. The Titus’s are great bikes but I sold them and now have an Epiphany. I love this bike!!! I had the front and rear Pushed and it made the great bike better. If you get one make sure the Mag rocker is the new material of aluminum. Mine broke while on a road trip to Gooseberry but was replaced the next day with the help of Ellsworth and a Fruita bike shop to the aluminum one that is on the bike now. My Epi is getting no love now that I have the Ibis Mojo SL. I got a regular Mojo and quickly replaced it with the SL. The Mojo is the best bike I have ever owned period. I’m looking for a second one to build up as an AM ride as the one I have now is a light XC build. If you decide that an Epiphany is the bike for you, let me know because I will be selling my Epi when I find my new SL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lidarman said:

:nono:

Nope this is not a troll post as $4 grand is more money than I care to spend but I want a dream machine & I apreciated all who replied to my comment. Ive owned Trek's, Giants & Cannondale & I keep looking for the Holy Grail of Mountain Bikes & so far Ellsworth does seem like the way to go. I have no problem giving my $$ to Tony as Im starting to have withdraws now as Im looking out my window here in Ohio with 6" of snow. Thanks to everyone who posted as I hope by the summer I join this elite group of riders who want nothing but the best

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jimmy L said:
I disagree, to me this appears a geniune post made by someone interested in buying a new bike. I really don't see anything wrong with that either.

I've seen that liderman jumps to conclusions quickly in a self righteous manner that is off the radar and judgemental. That could easily be percieved that he is not a smart man, when he may well be.

I'm definetly not qualified to answer the original question other than I've ridden and raced an Ellsworth Epiphany in XC Marathons, 24 hour Endurance etc etc for 3 years now. Its a terrific bike and nothing will change that.

It maybe self limiting to say this as I've also ridden a Pivot Mach 5 with DW Link and plenty of other good bikes. I ride with guys on Yetis and other highend bikes but I just like Ellsworth bikes the best. It's not just about buying a bike, its the whole experience. But hey, what would I know.
Thanks as this is a geniune post as no way even if I had already purchased an Ellsworth would I start trolling as everybody has their own opinion as Im not offended by lidarman as Im sure he does know what he's talking about. I hope to be on the trails by this summer with a new Ellsworth Epiphany. Im sure I would be pleased with any of the 3 bikes mentioned as Ive owned some nice bike but this next purchase will be for all the right reasons. I want a bike I will later have no regrets in spendindin my hard earn cash on. Something that I can say it was well worth it. Thanks JimmL I hope to join this elite group of riders who all know what they are talking about & want nothing but the best bang for there buck

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm an Epi owner (and lover), but i think you should also consider the Titus Motolite. Its cheaper, laterally stiffer, and has a racier feel (less plush, more go-fast). I did an extended comparison test of these two bikes last summer, and by the end i almost convinced myself to sell my Epi and buy the ML that i had been demo'ing. If you do a search you can find a link to the review.

As an added bonus, there's tons of ML owners out there, and the Titus forum as a much more inviting, enjoyable feel to it.

cheers

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Tiptx said:
:nono:

Nope this is not a troll post as $4 grand is more money than I care to spend,,,
Yep, that was the essence of my post.

But think of it this way, you spend the $4k, you will get to think about it a long time when you realize that your dream bike might only be just that--a dream.

Jimmy L has me nailed. So listen to him and listen to that burning wallet and your desire to spend. His only problem is that he can't spell my handle right even when he quotes me. But otherwise he knows his sheit! ;)

·
MTB SOCAL
1,459 Posts
thumbies said:
I'm an Epi owner (and lover), but i think you should also consider the Titus Motolite. Its cheaper, laterally stiffer, and has a racier feel (less plush, more go-fast). I did an extended comparison test of these two bikes last summer, and by the end i almost convinced myself to sell my Epi and buy the ML that i had been demo'ing. If you do a search you can find a link to the review.

As an added bonus, there's tons of ML owners out there, and the Titus forum as a much more inviting, enjoyable feel to it.

cheers
Before I bought the Epiphany, I had a ML for 2 seasons. I think the bikes are both excellent bikes. They actually feel similar in terms of handling. I, however, prefer the way the ICT feels. When you pedal, it is incredibly efficient and no noticeable pedal bob. But, when you hit the rough stuff, it is super active and plush. Lastly, in terms of finish - the Epi wins hands down. The anodized Epi finish looks amazing after hard riding. My ML paint was pretty fragile and chipped easily.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
lidarman said:
Yep, that was the essence of my post.

But think of it this way, you spend the $4k, you will get to think about it a long time when you realize that your dream bike might only be just that--a dream.

Jimmy L has me nailed. So listen to him and listen to that burning wallet and your desire to spend. His only problem is that he can't spell my handle right even when he quotes me. But otherwise he knows his sheit! ;)
hey jimmy l is a genius. i love all the thratening pm's he sends me. he's not just smart but he's also a real humanitarian

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Tiptx said:
:confused: Well never have I ever consider an Ellsworth till just a few months ago. Im still unsure which bike as Im not the agressive rider I once was. My choices are between the Epiphany, Santa Cruz Blur LT2, or the Yetti 575. Now for more agressive riding it may be the Santa Cruz Nomad or the Ellsworth Moment. I would like to know what other riders out there who ridden these bikes & which one did they chose & why? I waiting till later this spring but as of right now I leaning towards the Epiphany. Right around 4 grand is all I plan on spending as Im sure this will get me my dream bike. I know this is an Ellsworth board but all honesty I need to know where my hard earned money should go when it comes to one of these bikes listed
I ride an Id, nice bike, and Mrs. M. loves her Blur, but I think that my next frame will be the Titus El Guapo...low standover and a heavier frame compared to the Epiphany.

We don't see many Yeti's up here so I'm not familiar on how they'd compare.

·
Registered
205 Posts
qbert2000 said:
hey jimmy l is a genius. i love all the thratening pm's he sends me. he's not just smart but he's also a real humanitarian
Ok I'll explain this to the forum... it's true bascially I asked this guy to refrain from flaming and posting utter rubbish on here in his own language. However as all can see he has not taken my advice and has continued to de-value the Ellsworth forum. Furthermore his response and subsequent apology for feeling bad which I did not respond to crossed the line of decency and doesn't even deserve this 2 mins taken to write this.

To dilbert2000- you need to get out and turn the pedals more and stop being a joke. Start posting pics of your ride and places you've been and maybe you could earn some cred. Please do this do this on the Cannondale or Huffy forum where you belong, this forum is for the Ellsworth Riders, Bikes and those interested quality.

Lidarman- apologies for intentional misspell, your alright man.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.