Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, this is my fist post here on MTBR. Glad to join the community.

Question: I'd really like to get a Superfly, but the sizing has me concerned - specifically the top tube length. I generally like a 23.5" effective top tub, but the 19" Superfly is at 24.5" and the 17.5" measures 23.69". Looking at the numbers, it seems that the 17.5" would do, but then there's the seat height issue. Can anyone weigh in on this with their experiences?

Me: 5'11", 34" inseam, 200lbs.

thanks in advance!

Sean

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
(first response removed)

Edit:
At second glance, the M might work well for you as well, with a (really) long seatpost. You have long legs (I think), making your reach short.

I get away with 39"+ inseam on a 21" bike. Just a lot of seatpost showing.

You're indeed in between sizes (I tend to use 1m70-1m80 as a guideline for M's), and effectively get to choose your stem length. A longer seatpost adds comfort.
What seat tube heights are your other bikes?

Don't forget to take seat tube angle into account. If a bike is slacker by one degree (look at sagged/non-sagged), it will fit about half an inch smaller at your height.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i am 6'2" with 34,5" inseam and I ride a 19". I am between sizes like you are and I am used to 24,5" horiz. toptube. I am using a 360mm seatpost. I went for the smaller size (in my case the 19") and I am extremely happy.

I assume that you are buying a Superfly to get a fast bike, therefore I would not go with the larger size in combination with a short stem. The SF is not made for this, just stick with the toptube you are used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank-you everyone, the 19" it is. I picked it up today (local resale) and have ordered a 90mm X4 Thomson. No sweeping bars though. Instead, an Easton Monkey lite CNT 31.8 cut to 24". This setup will be just 10mm longer than my usual preference, but the shorter stem will quicken the steering. I have a FiZik Gobi saddle and thomson Masterpice 310mm post.

Weight: Just under 22 lbs with pedals....WOW! (Bontrager rigid fork)

I can't wait to ride it. Managed a few laps through the house though :D

Enjoy the weekend, I'm off skiing with the fam tomorrow, got a BIG dump of snow today!!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Congratulations on that new bike! You will love it.

And enjoy the skiing too. I just got back from Mount St Louis-Moonstone and it was fantastic (but cold as all hell). Tomorrow another dump of snow expected and I will be there to welcome it. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.