Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a Commencal Meta HT AM.
Several years ago I had a Specialized Enduro Evo 2013 (M) and recently to get back into biking again I rode a Kona Coiler Deluxe (2006) (L).
I know that the geometry of all these bikes are rather different. The enduro is probably the one I should compare with, although I must say that the Kona felt like riding a boat and I was just along for the ride, no control what so ever.

My Problem is that I'm unsure if I should go for the M or L of the Commencal Meta HT Am.
The M has 420mm reach and the L has 445mm reach. That's only 2.5cm difference, which to me sounds like nothing.

I've posted around several different forums, trying to find an answer since I can't test the bike.
I'm 179cm tall with an inseam of around 88cm and an ape-index of +4cm.

On the Enduro (440mm reach) I felt pretty comfortable, but the bike felt long and it didn't feel dialed at all (probably because of the bad components + setup?).

I'm leaning towards the Meta in size M, but I'm askingmyself if 420mm reach is too small, will I feel like I'm sitting on a kid's bike? and would the size L make the bike more tame and less fun? I'm afraid that I'll hit my knees on the bar of the size M and that I won't be able to turn well because of it.

My ride-style: I enjoy downhill like and enduro like riding, Sometimes going fast over rocky sketcy sections, air time and sometimes going slower on techy sections, I enjoy doing everything that's pushing me a bit. I'd love to have a more playful bike hence my reasoning about the size M.

I've written to a lot of people, some are 175 ridining M, others are 182cm riding M. Some people who are 177 riding L... it all comes down to personal prefrence, sure. But I'm afraid I'll make a bad decision. I'm afraid that the M will feel too small, and that's why I'm even considering going L. Because I've heard that commencals bikes are smaller than other manufacturers (as you can see from the Geomety, a size L fits more with a size M from other brands).

Would be greatful for some insight. I'm going grazy thinking about geometry numbers for weeks, can't do much else but think about this... (trying to figure out how to replicate the feeling of the M size...)

Thank you all!

Here's a link to commencals web-page with the goemetry of the bike:

·
jcd's best friend
2,959 Posts
I'm 180cm myself and I'm mixed between medium and large bikes depending on brand. My typical reach is around 450mm. 420mm reach is just too short for me. It would feel more like a BMX bike/dirt jumper in comparison to 450mm. If you go with a 450mm reach, you can make minor adjustments to get the fit correct. For instance, moving the saddle slightly forward may help. Rolling the handlebar back toward you can help too. You can also look into a shorter stem too. It's been a while since I looked at the Meta HT AM but if I recall, it's pretty slack so it may come with a short stem as it is.

Have you reached out to Commencal for advise?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
At 179cm, I'd be going with a Large, all day every day.

Especially because the Meta AM HT isn't particularly long as a hardtail. As you say, the large is only 445mm of reach. For comparison, the Kona ESD (another aggressive HT) has 465mm reach on size Medium. The Canyon Stoic is 455mm in reach, and the Rocky Mountain Growler/Norco Torrent are both 450mm in reach for the same size.

I have a buddy with an older Diamondback Syncr, with 450mm of reach on size L. He's about ~182cm, and it fits him well. But on his next bike he went larger, if that tells you anything. And, given, I'm a fair bit taller than you (~185-186cm), but that bike does feel small to me, the few times I've been on it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don’t know if I can help or not, and am only
trying because I’m close to the same size as you -180 ish. But, I am shorter inseam/ longer torso type build. Like you, I am always between sizes, and almost always buy medium.
My current bike has 429 reach, Giant Anthem 27.5. Large size is 445 I think. I would not want any shorter reach than what I have. I have also demoed a few other bikes
in the last couple years, a couple of them
in large, and I also owned a large hardtail
( not modern geo—really a full on cc race bike).
I can easily adapt to the large bikes I have ridden so far.
We’re it me, I think I’d go large.

·
Registered
13,855 Posts
You're 5'10.5" with long legs for your torso, over 34.5". That means you've got a short torso and need less reach. Probaly a M on many bikes. But I'd watch this review of the Com before you buy it. The bike is working for a limited range of terrain. At the 9-10 level of bike park speed and hits.
Commencal Meta HT AM Review - Hardtail Party - YouTube
A Ragley Big Al will work for more.
2021 Ragley Big Al Review - How Does a Budget Aluminum Hardtail Stack Up To Sedona's Trails? - YouTube
A build with a Helm M2 , 35mm rim wheels, Deore drive and Shimano M520 4-pots could be in the price range. Or go 1.0 with the very good Z2 fork and save money. Link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts