Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original cable route went under the bottom tube of the frame then under the bottom bracket then down the chainstay to the derailleur. The plastic guide under the BB was held in place by the tension of the front and rear derailleur cables. Now I'm going to be running a 1x10 and the uneven tension of the one cable instead of two won't hold in the guide. I bought a new metal guide that screws in But the whole under my BB doesn't have threads and the screw was way to small. What are my options? The only cable stops on my bike are two for the derailleur cables under the frame and one on the chainstay for RD.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If it were me, I prefer a plastic/nylon guide, instead of metal, with a screw. If the screw/guide hole is too small you can always drill out the hole in the guide to accommodate a larger screw.

There are 2 ways to get it to work... if the frame is aluminum you can use a SS screw and self tap it. I have done this to put a couple of pad eyes on an aluminum sailboat boom.

The more professional way is to tap it and use a small threaded SS machine screw.

I honestly can't remember seeing a bike with a cable guide that just fell off when the cables were removed.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could you run the cable inside housing all the way from the shift lever to the derailleur? That way you don't need cable stops, and there's no tension to worry about. You could just zip tie the cable housing to the frame wherever needed, or install some self-adhesive cable guides.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,451 Posts
I'd bet the plastic cable guide used to snap in (hence the small hole) but over time, the snap itself broke off. a new plastic guide that snaps in should do the trick. most I see, however, even plastic ones, have a small screw.

Yet another reason I dislike cable routing under the BB, though.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
full housing + zip ties to keep it on where you want it. You'll have less contamination of the housing with fewer openings too, which is a big plus if your bike gets wet a lot.

otherwise, drill out and tap a hole, drill it out and add in a rivnut. There are many solutions depending on your preferences and what's available. I'd go for full housing myself even without the bb guide problem.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
full housing + zip ties to keep it on where you want it. You'll have less contamination of the housing with fewer openings too, which is a big plus if your bike gets wet a lot.

otherwise, drill out and tap a hole, drill it out and add in a rivnut. There are many solutions depending on your preferences and what's available. I'd go for full housing myself even without the bb guide problem.
So it would work fine it I do it shifter to derailleur with not one cable stop and fully enclosed? If so Id probably have it share the brake line mounts with zip ties then down the seatstay to the derailliuer. Is there anything I need to keep in mind or should I just have at it?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So it would work fine it I do it shifter to derailleur with not one cable stop and fully enclosed? If so Id probably have it share the brake line mounts with zip ties then down the seatstay to the derailliuer. Is there anything I need to keep in mind or should I just have at it?
try to have smooth curves as much as possible and make sure your feet, tires, and drivetrain clear it nicely. slightly too long of housing is better than too short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts