Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance, here we go;
1) Budget: up to about $750
2) Type of riding: Like to take a hardtail mountain bike and ride it on road/easy trails. I love the geometry and feel of mountain, but don't really do many true trails anymore. I do bike paths in town and sometimes jump off the path and back on, sometimes jump street curbs, etc. Only jump about 3" - 12", so don't need a powerful shock. I do a bit of road riding too. So a light mountain bike with slicks works well for me for all of this. My bike is old and I think the frame is too small (19.5"), so time to upgrade....
3) Currently considering the 2010 Motobecane 700HT. I think it might be heavy though. My current Schwinn Moab 2 weighs about 26.5 lbs. and I love the speed! Don't want to lose that speed by riding a beast....
4) Hardtail only please, I don't want the added weight and expense of full suspension.
5) I am 39 soon, 6' 1" and 175#. Probably need a Large frame, about 20-21"
6) Will consider any source, local stores big and small (we have REI), online, Craigslist, etc. - I just mostly just want a good deal...
Your suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Honestly, every time I see a post like yours, I recommend a flat-bar road bike. Most of them have plenty of space to run some big cyclocross meat, which will take care of switching back and forth between rail-trails, multi-use paths, etc, and the road, the 700c hoops will be way faster than 26" and really even than 29" unless you run slicks, and they come with more road friendly gearing, while still having a granny for when you need it. Many have disks. Lastly, the kind of riding you're describing doesn't need a suspension fork, so why deal with that extra weight and expense and maintenance?

Kona's Dew series, Giant makes one or more, there are others, most of the big companies now have one or more in their lineup, I would take a look at them and just see if you think they might be a good alternative given the kind of riding you have in mind.

David B.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Thanks - if the center of gravity and control is more like a mountain bike than a hybrid, this could really work! I've ridden a couple of my friend's hybrids (I am sure they are a bit older though) and I feel like I have no control as the center of gravity is so high. Scared to even do a hard turn on sand as I think I am going to totally wipe in those things. Thus I have haven't looked at anything that remotely resembles a hybrid, but I will have to go find some Konas at my LBS and give them a spin and see if they feel better. --Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
were those "hybrids" comfort bikes? comfort bikes usually have 26" wheels, adjustable stems, and ~1 3/8 in tires. Hybrids like what have been suggested have 700c wheels, ~road gearing, mountain controls, and geometry similar to a xc mtn bike. take a look at the Schwinn caffeine, jamis coda, kona dew.

I think i will buy one of those for my girlfriend soon. her beloved college bike was just stolen.

i think any misc hardtail xc bike with slicks/650c road tires works too. You can likely find a sweet deal on craigslist for a hardtail easier than a nice hybrid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.