Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I can use some help/opinions here. I know this is the Specialized forum, but I know I can count on you guys for help :)

My mom's next door neighbor has a 1999 Haro EX2. It retailed for $1100 back then. It has a Rock Shox Judy C fork, a Rock Shox coil rear shock, LX/XT der group, LX shifters/levers and Avid V-Brakes from what I can remember from when I looked at it today.

I guess his wife bought it for his birthday back in '99 and he doesn't ride. He says he has only ridden it on the street a few times. I totally believe him on that. I have known him for years and he's an honest guy. It's been sitting in his garage for 6 years.

Anyway, he wants to get rid of it and says he'll sell it to me for $500. I am just wondering if it's worth it?? The only reason I am even considering it is because I know it hasn't been ridden. Heres a link with info about it: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_full/product_19108.shtml

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I wouldn't give more than $200 to $300 for it....

DSDuke said:
Hey guys, I can use some help/opinions here. I know this is the Specialized forum, but I know I can count on you guys for help :)

My mom's next door neighbor has a 1999 Haro EX2. It retailed for $1100 back then. It has a Rock Shox Judy C fork, a Rock Shox coil rear shock, LX/XT der group, LX shifters/levers and Avid V-Brakes from what I can remember from when I looked at it today.

I guess his wife bought it for his birthday back in '99 and he doesn't ride. He says he has only ridden it on the street a few times. I totally believe him on that. I have known him for years and he's an honest guy. It's been sitting in his garage for 6 years.

Anyway, he wants to get rid of it and says he'll sell it to me for $500. I am just wondering if it's worth it?? The only reason I am even considering it is because I know it hasn't been ridden. Heres a link with info about it: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_full/product_19108.shtml

Thanks for any help you can give.
First off it is an OLD and dated design, 3.15" of travel, that's dumpster fodder if you ask me! But, it will do if it's what you can afford. The bike has a dated fork that you most likely won't be able to get replacement parts for and the 99 EX2 had some issues with the swing arm breaking when used as intended (off road). In it's day it was a viable design and worked fairly well. But by todays standards it's pretty much a clunker. Like I said, I'd offer him no more than $300 for it and then only if it is in perfect condition, i.e. no rust/corrosion anywhere, only minor scratches, and everything works as it should (fork, derailleurs, shifters, rear shock etc.) So unless the bike is in excellent condition, everything works, it fits you right (if it's for you), and you really want it, I'd say pass on it.

Good Dirt

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply :)

I don't need it. My main ride is an '04 Enduro Expert. I was just wondering if it's worth it or not. I was kind of toying with the idea to have the bike as a back-up of sorts, or as a way to get my non-riding buds into riding (i.e--I have a bike you can borrow). Anyway, I was only thinking about it, not really set on doing it.

Thanks again :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.