Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 04 P. series bike that I use for DJ/urban and freeride. I have liked my Hayes MX2 brakes, they havent given me any problems ( ecept lots of warped rotors ). the pads are completly dead in the back and the pads in the front are starting to loose power. the front is a 8" rotor that is barely bent, and the back 6" rotor is really warped ( gone through 6 rotors in the back )

so yea, I can either buy new pads for bolth brakes, plus a rotor for the back. Or I can just buy a completly new brake. I dont want to spend much money and I dont want hydros.

If I were to replace the rear brake, what should I get ?

my Options: Tektro aquila brake ( 160 rotor, BB actuated, dual pad adjusters, and it comes with cables and housing, and the front and rear adapters )

Or
I could just buy another MX2 for the same price, but then I would need cables and adapters.

Or

just buy new pads ( does anyone know whare I can get the MX2 pads ? )

what would you do in this situation ?

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Go with Avid BB7's...

I love mine.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Those are very expensive brakes when you replace the rotor rather than straighten it. Is there some reason you're not truing your rotors? What's so hard about finding replacement pads for your brakes?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Why have you needed to replace so many rear rotors? Are you bending them in crashes? Sever overheating (I saw a hayes rotor that was cupped like a bowl because the rear brake was overused)? Or do you not know how to true a slightly warped rotor?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Those are very expensive brakes when you replace the rotor rather than straighten it. Is there some reason you're not truing your rotors? What's so hard about finding replacement pads for your brakes?
because the MX2 pads only fit in the MX2 capilar. the other hayes pads dont fit in them for some reason.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
Why have you needed to replace so many rear rotors? Are you bending them in crashes? Sever overheating (I saw a hayes rotor that was cupped like a bowl because the rear brake was overused)? Or do you not know how to true a slightly warped rotor?
I have had to replace rear rotors because of 1 crash ( hit a boulder and bent badly ) another would have been screwing around doing trials stuff and it smashed into the curb. all the others were because they heated up a lot and then warped severrly. I dont know how to true my rotors, I know that the ones I have busted in the past couldent have ben fixed. but my current rotors arent damaged much, and could easily be trued I guess

how do you true them ?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
todd_freeride said:
...how do you true them ?
The answer is in the Disc Brake FAQ! Link in the right sidebar.

You can also find many threads about it on this board if you run a search.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
As for finding the pads, try google, I had no problem. You've probably thrown away rotors unnecessarily unless you actually put a crease in them (maybe you kept them and have a lifetime supply after you learn to true them).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts