Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Trek Marlin WSD 29er for my girlfriend (just as a possible option...they have one at a LBS that we're probably going to go try out), but I'm curious about frame sizes. Is there a rule for height vs frame size? Also, how do I measure my current bike to determine what frame size I have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know about a specific rule of thumb for height vs frame size. The best thing to do is for your girlfriend to go to the LBS and ride the bike around to see if its comfortable. The employees there can help her with the fit as well. To get your frame size, measure from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube.
FWIW, I am really new to mountain biking (but not biking in general), and I just picked up a Trek Marlin WSD a few days ago. It seems like a decent, entry level 29er. The weight of the bike doesn't concern me too much, as my other ride is a steel touring bike with all the bells and whistles, and it's heavy! The nice thing about that line of bikes is that the frame is the same from the Wahoo on up, so I was able to try a few sizes out at my LBS, even though they didn't have the Marlin WSD in stock. Good luck bike hunting!

·
Registered
170 Posts
i advise standing in your socks with a thin hardcover book, spine facing up, between your legs, against your groin. Measure your inseam from the spine of the book to the floor in centimeters. Multiply the result by 0.65 to get your road bike frame size. Subtract 10 to 12 cm for your mountain bike equivalent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i advise standing in your socks with a thin hardcover book, spine facing up, between your legs, against your groin. Measure your inseam from the spine of the book to the floor in centimeters. Multiply the result by 0.65 to get your road bike frame size. Subtract 10 to 12 cm for your mountain bike equivalent.
Is that for real or is that a joke?

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Is that for real or is that a joke?
Its for real, well kind of. It will give you a very rough estimate. As jkiddie mentioned the calculator at competitive cyclist is pretty good for a rough measurement that yo can compare to a frame geometry.
Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

Stand over height is just one facet of sizing, top tube length is also very important, and then to confuse things stem size.

Different brands fit differently, and at some heights you are at the cusp of either size. Typically going a size down is better than a size up, but not always. Do your homework because in some cases the folks at the LBS know as much or less about fit than you do. That way you at least have a general idea about fit in case someone isn't knowledgeable or tries to sell you something that isn't right for you. Also a lot of manufacturers have sizing charts, check out their websites

If you are lucky you will have a LBS that will actually size you. Either way test ride as many as possible for as long as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts