Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Installed An 06 Marzocchi 66 On My Santacruz Vp Free. The Top Of The Fork Crown Does Not Clear The Bottom Tube Of My Frame. I Have An Fsa Extreme Pro Headset. The Fork Just Hits The Tube. If I Wreck, It Will Either Dent The Tube Or Rip The Rebound Adjuster Off The Shock Crown. Is There Another Race That Is Longer That I Can Install. Or Another Headset That Will Be Longer At The Bottom To Solve My Problem. Thanks For Any Help. :(

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Pic?

I'm not following it...Do you have a picture?
Maybe I'm just tired... :confused:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Syncros FR1 and FR2 headsets are really tall, but thats so wierd that your crown hits your downtube. due to the new shape of the top crowns i can understand it though. sort of defeats the purpose of having a SC fork though, doesnt it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
dogonfr said:
Makes no sense, do you have a pic for show & tell?
Imagine trying to do an x up. Normally the crown would go under the downtube without problems, but something about the width, and height of his 66 makes the crown hit the downtube when he turns his bars too much... Did that explain it?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
dogonfr said:
Makes no sense, do you have a pic for show & tell?
makes perfect sence if you know what VPFs downtubes look like and have seen the new 06' 66 crowns. that still doesnt excuse the fact it shoudlnt be happening. something has to be wrong.

Attachments

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
I gots the pic in my feeble mind just the only thing im comming up with are too steep steer or bearing race missing, but dont belive that is the problem. Thanx for the pic BJ im looking at it can you smell the smoke?:confused:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I remember seeing a thread about this a few days ago only it was for a Fox fork, the solition for the Fox fork was to get aftermarket lower profile knobs that will clear the downtube, dont know if you can get smaller knobs for your Marzocchi though.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
Checked Santa Cruz site & they show it with the 66 as a fork option. Email or call SC then let us all now. Very hard to see by there pic but it looks as if the fork was turned it would hit. Check out there sit & click back & forth on the 66 & Fox, big differance. Possibly spacers beffor the race but that would be a feeble way to resolve.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Gee Thanks...

What doesn't make sense is you posting a VP w/ a 888 and asking us why we don't get what he's saying.
Nice bike though.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
SuperKat7 said:
What doesn't make sense is you posting a VP w/ a 888 and asking us why we don't get what he's saying.
Nice bike though.
Go back to bed when you wake up it'll all be a dream, a dream , a dreamm. Make shure to wear a hat beffor you go out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Small Frame?

I'm guessing you have a small frame, these are the only ones that had this problem with the fox 36. Try that syncros headset i hear they are really tall.

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
Ahem...

XSL_WiLL said:
Simple concept, think it through. Knob is hitting the downtube because there isn't enough clearance.
Yeah, but is it due to the width AND the height? The knobs on the top of a 66 aren't that tall (perhaps obtrusive is a better term...) Do we know how much more clearance is needed?

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
RADTECH said:
Just Installed An 06 Marzocchi 66 On My Santacruz Vp Free. The Top Of The Fork Crown Does Not Clear The Bottom Tube Of My Frame. I Have An Fsa Extreme Pro Headset. The Fork Just Hits The Tube. If I Wreck, It Will Either Dent The Tube Or Rip The Rebound Adjuster Off The Shock Crown. Is There Another Race That Is Longer That I Can Install. Or Another Headset That Will Be Longer At The Bottom To Solve My Problem. Thanks For Any Help. :(
Sent a email to Santa Cruze this is what they replyed back.

when the Free was introduced there were no single crown forks that had enough travel to be a good fit, so we did not design the bike to have the clearance you are asking about. We may redesign the bike in the future to allow more clearance, but that is a major undertaking. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to do barspins or something like that. You still get an improved turning radius, as you can definitely turn you bars more the 66 than a 888, so there are still advantages. Also, you can climb without bashing your knees on the upper crown. I have a 66 on my Free and love it....

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
dogonfr said:
Sent a email to Santa Cruze this is what they replyed back.

when the Free was introduced there were no single crown forks that had enough travel to be a good fit, so we did not design the bike to have the clearance you are asking about. We may redesign the bike in the future to allow more clearance, but that is a major undertaking. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to do barspins or something like that. You still get an improved turning radius, as you can definitely turn you bars more the 66 than a 888, so there are still advantages. Also, you can climb without bashing your knees on the upper crown. I have a 66 on my Free and love it....
are you able to take a picture and show us how bad it really is...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts