Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with downtube shifters

Okay, this is what I got. I have a Burly MTB Tandum and I want to intall dropbars and areo brake levers. Figured the most elegant solution was downtube shifters; I not a fan of bar end shifters. Here's the problem; the down tube is 34.5 mm , so there is no clamp style shifters available. I know there used to be bosses that were drilled and screwed on but I don't know were to find them. Anyone with a solution here, besides having to braise on some bosses?

1G1G, Brad

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
In all honesty, Brad, bar-ends (or road STI) are the way to go when shifing on a tandem. The ability to keep your hands on the bars and in 100% control is a good thing on a long bike.

But, if you want down tube shifters, old Klein road bikes use to use a boss that was installed through a hole in the down tube. The two bosses were held together with a threaded rod. I think this may have been a fix to a problem with bosses popping off, but can be certain. I do recall installing this threaded boss into a couple of Klein road bikes years ago (way before the trek days). You might find this part in shops that were around and selling Kleins in those days - Leucadia Cyclery and Pacific Coast Cycles both come to mind (in Leucadia and Oceanside, CA respectively).

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you say: "One God One Gear"

and then you admit: "...the most elegant solution was downtube shifters..."

Is it safe to assume the Greeks were correct, and we've all been duped by monotheism?

;)

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, you caught me..

Don Juan said:
If you say: "One God One Gear"

and then you admit: "...the most elegant solution was downtube shifters..."

Is it safe to assume the Greeks were correct, and we've all been duped by monotheism?

;)
Yea, I spend most of my time (and rides) are on the Singlespeed (Board); SS off road and fixie otherwise, but the Tandum is another story. One of the reasons I want downtube shifters is it will keep the cockpit and handlebar simple :thumbsup:

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have a MTB tandem also and I wouldn't dream of using downtube shifters offroad, maybe on road only, but thats just me. For dropbars, I might consider MTB thumbshifters.

If you don't need high-end shifters, I think some cheaper downtube shifters back in the day used a flexible hose-clamp type of clamp that might work or might be rigged to work on the oversized downtube.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understood your concern..

grawbass said:
I have a MTB tandem also and I wouldn't dream of using downtube shifters offroad, maybe on road only, but thats just me. For dropbars, I might consider MTB thumbshifters.

If you don't need high-end shifters, I think some cheaper downtube shifters back in the day used a flexible hose-clamp type of clamp that might work or might be rigged to work on the oversized downtube.
The bike will be used exclusively as a road bike; I ride with my wife and the few times I took her off road scared the bejeevers out of her.

1G1G, Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.