Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering converting my nephew 2x10 bike to 1x11. I already have some 1x11 GX parts for the conversion (shifter, derailleur and cassette) that were on my bike before I upgraded my drivetrain. So if my understanding is correct, those part will fit and we would just need a new crankset and possibly a new chain.

So here are my questions:

I would be able to replace his current Shimano HG-50 cassette with my old SRAM PG-1130 cassette, right?

For the the new 1x11 crank, what I need to check before shopping for a new one? That the is compatible with his current SM-BB52 and what else? Chain-line maybe? His current crank is a Shimano FC-M627 if it help.

Finally, I assume it would better to also replace the chain with one compatible with 1x11 drivetrain, right?

Many thanks!!!

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
Yes, your PG cassette is a direct swap with an 11sp chain. Based on the current crankset, you’ll want a 175 or 170mm crankset with a standard offset 1x chainring and a 24mm spindle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was searching for a crankset compatible with the BB52 but I think I get it wrong... I need a HOLLOWTECH II (the "type" of the BB) compatible crankset, right?

Is a 24 spindle the same as HOLLOWTECH II?

Ok, it seem I would need to replace the BB... For exemple, if I check the Shimano M7000 crank, it requires the BB-MT800. Right?

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
Each manufacturer has their own name for their ‘interface’ but 24mm is a standard spindle size for threaded cup BBs.

One Pivot is right in that you could use the current crankset by removing the small chainring to save weight and replace the large chainring with a 30t or 32t 104 BCD chainring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.