Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Motobecane Fantom 3.0... its sick, but i dropped about $800 on it so im really trying to take care of it. I was doing some really muddy riding today and had to soak it pretty good to get all the mud off. I am wondering if any, which parts are susceptible to rusting after getting wet. My MTB has Rock Shox and I was also wondering if they could get moisture in them and if so how bad it is when they do. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I can't recall reading anything positive about soaking a bike. Most guidande is a gentle spray/hand wash. I know it will be a pain to get the mud off--sometimes I let the mud dry on for a bit which facilitates removal by soap, hand and spong e later. Dry everything well.

Anyway soaking can wreak havoc on the bottom brackets and hubs or so I've been told.

I'm sure someone will be along with a lengthier why you should not soak treastice (spelling?) soon.

JackyL said:
I recently bought a Motobecane Fantom 3.0... its sick, but i dropped about $800 on it so im really trying to take care of it. I was doing some really muddy riding today and had to soak it pretty good to get all the mud off. I am wondering if any, which parts are susceptible to rusting after getting wet. My MTB has Rock Shox and I was also wondering if they could get moisture in them and if so how bad it is when they do. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Go faster
321 Posts
I recommend you don't ride your bike in the mud. Sure it is fun but it wears everything out. If you Mud ride you will get dirt and water in your cable housings, chain, cassete, everywhere pretty much. I will also mention you are probabally also eroding the trails and rutting them out by riding them while they are drying. Riding muddy trails just wears everything out, your bike and the trails

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Dont soak it. Youll rust the bolts, the chain, and almost anything steel for that matter. I have 2 ways I clean depending how dirty it is. If its just dusty I will spray it with a hose and wipe it clean with a dry rag. It it is filthy, I will take a wet rag and clean each part individually and dry it with another rag. I used to do this after every ride, but now I go a few rides withough cleaning the bike. I only clean it after a filthy ride, or it just seems like its about time. And, keep your chain lubed regularly. Especially after you clean it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i usuallly just spray my bike off with a hose, and if its really muddy i try and get the hose up to a higher pressure (putting your thumb or somthn over the hole) then i dry and lube it.

as for getting water in forks, it can be killer, most new forks you can dissasemble and drain, but if you cant you will just have to wait a day or two before your fork will compress again, i would imagine that the forks should be watertight since most are air tight, but last season me and my friend both had our forks seize up (both older forks) and not work for a day so....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.