Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to know what to look for in a hardtail mtb

i plan to use this bike to commute so i would need it to be between 20-30lbs. At first i thought a cyclocross would be the best but the trails i want to ride on are to hard for a cyclocross.

my lbs recommended that i get a hardtail mtb w/ disc brakes so i could change tires when i would commute and when i would mt bike.

I wanted to know what are some good brands and just what to look for. I have a budget of between 500 and 1500 thats just for the bike i have extra for equipment and extra wheels.

thanx in advance

manny gomez

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hardrock Pro Disc

Just ordered an 05 pro disc. Great bike, with great components and you cant beat the price. Can find them online for 550$..

Comes with Avid disc brakes. and Shimano Deore derailres

·
Registered
95 Posts
mgomez41 said:
I wanted to know what to look for in a hardtail mtb

i plan to use this bike to commute so i would need it to be between 20-30lbs. At first i thought a cyclocross would be the best but the trails i want to ride on are to hard for a cyclocross.

my lbs recommended that i get a hardtail mtb w/ disc brakes so i could change tires when i would commute and when i would mt bike.

I wanted to know what are some good brands and just what to look for. I have a budget of between 500 and 1500 thats just for the bike i have extra for equipment and extra wheels.

thanx in advance

manny gomez
mgomez41,...

Myself,....(being a die hard Specialized fan ),...will of course recommend Specialized.

However, this will be your choice and your bike.

#1,..look at different brands, and test ride as many as possible.
#2,..Fit is important,...get the one that fits you the best.
#3,..compare components,...(the better the components the better the bike)
#4,..look at manufacturer warranty,...and LBS service after the sale.

Specifically,...what to look for in a HT MTB,..??

#1,..Fit
#2,..quality of components
#3,..frame warranty

RE: brakes,...

You can change out wheels with rim brakes just as well as you can with disc brakes, this is just a matter of personal preference,...(some like discs,...some like rim)

Your budget will give you flexibility in making your decision, so,...enjoy the MTB shopping experience.

I hope this 'lil post helps

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ol' DirtDawg said:
mgomez41,...

Myself,....(being a die hard Specialized fan ),...will of course recommend Specialized.

However, this will be your choice and your bike.

#1,..look at different brands, and test ride as many as possible.
#2,..Fit is important,...get the one that fits you the best.
#3,..compare components,...(the better the components the better the bike)
#4,..look at manufacturer warranty,...and LBS service after the sale.

Specifically,...what to look for in a HT MTB,..??

#1,..Fit
#2,..quality of components
#3,..frame warranty

RE: brakes,...

You can change out wheels with rim brakes just as well as you can with disc brakes, this is just a matter of personal preference,...(some like discs,...some like rim)

Your budget will give you flexibility in making your decision, so,...enjoy the MTB shopping experience.

I hope this 'lil post helps

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg
kind of a coinsidence but the first hardtail i looked at was a specialized stumpjumper honestly i fell in love with this bike the weigth was unbelievable and thats what sold me its was a bit deep in the pocket at $1300

i dont just want to base my bike just on weight but also on good components my problem is im not to familiar with componetry i dont know whats good and what isnt

ive look at several hardtails and all of them have been to heavy for my liking though i havent been able to ride none of these bikes cause none of my local lbs seem to have them in stock except for the specialized i was rushed but im thinking of going tomorrow to test ride it

i checked out alot of the product reviews and for now i think im gonna go for the specialized

·
Registered
95 Posts
mgomez41,...

Most current quality MTB manufacturers use "Shimano" components.

Shimano components from best to good:

#1,...XTR
#2,...XT
#3,...LX
#4,...Deore
#5,...Alivio

The higher the quality of components the lighter the weight. (in simple terms)
The higher the price of the bike in question, the better components usually used.

Forks and front suspensions are another world entirely,(again personal preference dictates), as with Fox, Manitou and others.

If you have decided upon Specialized and you feel the "Stumpjumper HT" is a bit steep, may I suggest the "Rockhopper" or "Hardrock" series.

(I ride a Specialized 2004 Rockhopper Comp),....VBS

But please, don't be swayed by my 'lil post, do yourself a favour and look at as many other manufacturers of quality MTB's as you can.

Giant, Trek, Raleigh, Gary Fisher, and others make very fine quality bikes, and you owe it to yourself to investigate/research other brands.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to ride other brands, and then decide upon which has the best FIT for YOU with the criteria you have previously specified.

(then again iffen ya finally choose a Specialized product,....ya ain't done bad 'neither,..IMHO),....*S*

Good luck,..and again,... enjoy the MTB shopping/evaluation experience.

"nuff said,..."

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much

i love the looking around experience im gonna go again tomorrow to check out some more lbs
around town ive been to 5 already so well see what happens
u can chek out my other post in the beginners forum to see what bikes i checked out its named hardtail mtb's

once again thank you very much

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra

Being in exactly the same situation as yours, except that I already had a good road bike and dual suspension mountain bike, I "discovered" that Cannondale has a great bike called the Bad Boy Ultra. If commuting is your primary concern, this is an ideal choice. The frame is a mountain bike frame called Furio, which is the same frame they use on the F600 and F800 hardtails. It comes with the Ultra Fatty front shock with 80 mm that is very rigid but is not adjustable (except by a Cannondale shop). It comes with 700c wheels with 23D road tires with disk brakes (Avid Mech 5) so it works great on the road, but if you swap the wheels with 26" MTB wheels, you have a 100% hardtail that handles beautifully. The price is around $1300, and it comes with Avid X7 components.

If commuting and mountain biking are your priorities, this is a highly recommended choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for your recommendation ill check that one out see how it rides

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.