Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I just moved to Denver and want to take up Mountain Biking. I have a couple friends who are also getting into it. I will be riding down hill alot but I'm sure I will do a little of everything but not long long distance cross country stuff. I have done some reseach and found a couple good used bikes I think. Please let me know which would work better or if you have a different option. Want to stay below $500 the cheaper the better. I will be putting more money into uprgrads I'm sure later. Also I'm 5`10" 155lbs

1997 Trek Y5. No breaks in welds and shocks are good. Looks almost like new. I hear this is a oldy but good. Only draw back I see is you cant put disc brakes on back.
Cost $325

Specifications of my Y5.
Frame: 6061 Aluminium
Rims: Matrix Swami
Stem: Bontrager
Bars: Bontrager Race 5
Bar ends: Bontrager Race 6061
Gearshifters: Gripshift 24 speed
Mens: M
Brake levers: Shimano Servo Wave Action
Brakes: Shimano V

2003 Iron Horse SGS Expert. Heavy bike but will last long time. Needs new rear tire. Might be too small.
Cost $525

EXTRAS: Includes 4 new downhill tubes, 2 new sets of brake pads

COMPONENTS

Frame: Small (should fit up to ~ 5'9"), FSR linkage geometry, 6 or 7" of rear travel

Fork: Manitou Sherman Breakout (6" travel) - top-mounted travel adjust with Rapid Travel II, TPC, 32 mm stanchions, evil semi-bath lubrication system, and Hex-Lock through axel
Shock: Fox Racing Vanilla R (rebuilt by Fox with no mileage on it)
Brakes: Hayes HFX-9-HD hydraulic disk with 8" rotors
Crank: Truvativ Hussefelt freeride crank (38/28t)
Stem: 1.5" Ringle Evolution
Pedals: Wellgo B57 platform
Handlebar: Easton EA30 riser
Tires: 2.5 Maxxis Minion ST downhill with sticky rubber (front tire still has wear, but rear tire will need to be replaced)
Rims: Mavic F219 disc, Formula hubs
Shifters: Shimano LX
R Derailleur: Shimano XT
F Derailleur: Shimano LX

PLEASE HELP!! WANT TO BUY SOON BEFORE THERE GONE

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys:thumbsup: I joined this forum Friday and couldn't post until now. It was driving me CRAZY! I'm really excited to make this my summer hobby! I'm sure this forum will have me spendy more money than I should. These things always do get expensive! Is there any other good bikes I should keep my eye out for that might be around $500? I'm trying to get a responce about a 2005 Yeti ASX for $600. Seems like a awesome deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CRed said:
Is this the one you're looking at?

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/687345400.html

If so it looks like a pretty good deal,but he does mention it has a lot of miles on it so make sure it's in good shape.
thats the one.... but no response so its probably gone. Oh well. I did all my research on suspension bikes but maybe for the money and my use I should look into hard tails:confused: I guess I will spend some more time searching Craigslist for a good hard tail and checking reviews and orignal MSRP for each one. Man this gets old I just want to hit the trails SOOO BAD!

·
Great... another hobby...
45 Posts
500+?

If your talking in this range why don't you look at an enty level hardtail like a rockhopper or q620? You also said you would upgrade so these would be fine frames to do that on.

·
Great... another hobby...
45 Posts
New

I bought my Q-620 for 599 with disc brakes and decent hardware all around. Granted I have already upgraded the fork, switched from mechanical to hydro brakes, changed out the shifters and pedals NONE OF WHICH IS REQUIRED!!!!! This is all personal preference and I planned to do this with this bike.

You can also buy a specialized hardrock comp disc which is comparable to the stock Q-620 for about 515-550.

Me in that range I would buy new from a LBS utilize the free service and plan to upgrade later when I know what I want to do with the sport.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rockhopper Disc

Coop29 said:
I just bought an 08 Rockhopper Disc on Craigslist for $400!! Cherry condition. Keep an eye out and you can find a steal.
Something like this?? Would this be a good deal... if I can get it for like $450? Also is this going to be a good down hill bike?
I have a 2007 Specialized Rockhopper w/19 inch frame that is too big for me. I'm sad to have to sell it but I need one that fits better!

It has only been ridden on the road, never the mountains, with a few dings in the paint. Was bought new for $700. Shimano Alivio components, disc brakes, lock-out suspension. I'm willing to negotiate the price. The picture is from the day that I bought it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
700 Posts
neuler said:
Man that black one does look sick and it would match my Blacked out new truck... just a nice bonus. It says (Cross Country) would it be decent for down hill runs?
Not the best downhill bike,more of a climber and for XC.I'm not sure about the Rochopper,if it's good for DH or not

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.