Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to replace the big ring on my bike 'cause i'm not getting enough clearance over rocks and logs plus i never use it and it is all bent up. question is i don know what to get the threads i've seen about bashguards talk about the e13 bashguard. i found some on ebay but they are made of plastic. are these e13 any good in plastic or metal is the way to go? if you know any website with good prices please let me know thanks :thumbsup:

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
The E-Thirteen rings even though they are made of plastic are extremely durable, My friend has one on his Transition and its bulletproof.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Eric Hoefer said:
The E-Thirteen rings even though they are made of plastic are extremely durable.
What he said. I've broken two, but both were well deserved breaks. One on a jump, on which I crashed hard.
The other was a jeep running over my bike without me on it.
Both tomes the chain ring was unharmed.
While this doesn't sound as good as some would like, I like to draw a paralell to wearing a helmet. It absorbs the impact, so you don't have to. E13 all the way. It costs more, but it works.

My $.02

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I'll share with you what my buddy shared with me when I was in the market for my first bashguard. The E13 bashguard is great - it may weigh a bit more, but the plastic is slippery and may actually help you 'slide' over obstacles a bit better.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
If you're really needing and using a bashguard, weight savings of a few grams shouldn't be too important. This should apply to any part that's taking a hit.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
definitely shorten the chain with NO big ring

BelaySlave said:
I too have a Race Face bashguard on my Yeti....

Really no weight savings. In fact I think it's heavier than the big ring that it replaced. Oh well.

Hey...question for the folks that did take the big ring off...did you shorten your chain a lil' bit?
It'll reduce chain slap and give you sharp crisp shifting. Plus..... the reduced number of chain links might offset the weight of the bashguard if you are prone to watching your grams:D

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
It'll reduce chain slap and give you sharp crisp shifting. Plus..... the reduced number of chain links might offset the weight of the bashguard if you are prone to watching your grams:D
How many links did you take off? I have a Shimano chain and a possibly soon to be installed SRAM chain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
a properly installed e.thirteen supercharger should last for years.
one of the benefits is that if you are impacting any objects such as rocks, pipes or any debris the supercharger will deflect and slide instead of hitting and sticking like aluminum does.
When it comes to protecting my cranks and rings i personally could care less what my bashguard weighs, weither its aluminum or polycarbonate, just as long as it works.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
depends......

BelaySlave said:
How many links did you take off? I have a Shimano chain and a possibly soon to be installed SRAM chain.
On what your drivetrain consists of. My method is to have the rear derailleur lower jockey wheel pointing between 4-5 o'clock while in the big cog and middle chainring. If you're running a mid/short cage rear derailleur.. then I keep the jockey pointing at 6 o'clock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.