Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm looking to purchase a new steel hardtail frame and was looking for some input. I was looking at the On One Inbred, the Zion 660, Soma Groove and the Nashbar Reynolds 853 frame on sale. This bike is going to start out as an 8 speed and eventually be converted to a SS once I feel like I'm strong enough. I currently ride a Ellsworth FS that I like, but I want a more simplified hardtail for the fast buff stuff and muddy days when I don't want to gum up my pivots.

Tire clearance is a huge issue for me. I need something to accomodate a 2.25 - 2.3 rear tire. I like the Geax Sturdy 2.25 rear a lot and it is definitely larger than most any other 2.25. I know this tire just barely fits the On One and I have heard the Zion 660 has clearance issues. The Nashbar looks nice, but I'm not sure about it since I have not seen any reviews. The Inbred and the Nashbar run about $350 each and the Zion at about $250. I basically want a solid frame, that climbs well and provides good tire clearance as well as IS Disc mounts.

here is the Nashbar Frame (I'm leaning towards this one)http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=17655&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Zione 660
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR410A01-Zion+660+Frame.aspx

On One Inbred
http://pricepoint.com/detail/14576-175_ONOIN5-3-Parts-60-Frames/On-One-Inbred-Geared-Frame.htm

Soma Groove
http://pricepoint.com/detail/12916-175_SOMGM3-3-Parts-60-Frames/Soma-Groove-Mountain-Frame.htm

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ot?

mud'n'sweat said:
This bike is going to start out as an 8 speed and eventually be converted to a SS once I feel like I'm strong enough.
IMO, that is like saying you are going to take the escalator until you are strong enough to take the stairs. The best way to become strong enough to ride SS is to ride SS.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
IMO, that is like saying you are going to take the escalator until you are strong enough to take the stairs. The best way to become strong enough to ride SS is to ride SS.
Well, considering I was in a hospital bed for 3 months, then in a wheel chair for 7 months, and gained 100lbs, You'll need to give me a minute. I've already lost 50lbs. so I am getting there.

Did you have any helpful advice you coul give me in regards to the questions I asked? Some help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Congratulations to you on your recovery. My comment wasn't meant to imply that you were copping out in anyway. People tend to think that SSing is harder than it really is. If you want to ease into singlespeeding, go with an easier gear. SSing is only as strenuous as you want to make it.

So, I stand by my comment. My advice is to make the commitment now and consider SS specific frames like the Surly 1x1, Soma 415 etc. and save yourself the hassles of tensioning devices down the road.

BTW, how tall are you? 29er tall?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 6'0". I'm somewhat interested in 29ers but have never ridden one and don't have the cash for all new wheel sets, tires etc.

What SS frames would you recommend in regards to everything else I mentioned? I wasn't big on the tensioner idea either, so I may yet be persuaded by you :thumbsup:

What tips should I consider when deciding on a SS set up?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Soma, Surly and On-One all have good steel SS frames. I own a Soma CX bike and a Surly 29er and can vouch for their quality, though not the SS frames specifically. I'm sure you can find out about tire clearance from someone on this board.

The number one SS tip I can give you is to not hesitate to gear easier than the fabled 2:1. 32:18-21 are all great options depending on your terrain and how hard you want to push things. Coming off of gears, everything will feel way too spinny on the flats and too hard on the hills. Give yourself a few rides to get used to things and then make adjustments from there.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's aluminum..

and in the long run, you'll probably prefer steel. (edit: I forgot this piece; Steel's easier on your butt with the compliance granted by more supple material.)
I have one of the earlier versions of the Zion and can attest that the tire clearance is not as much as you're asking for, (I would like more than the 2.2 that I can fit). I don't know enough about the others, except that a buddy has a On-One and it has more tire clearance than mine.
Best luck, and congrats on your recovery. Welcome back!
PS, I do like my Voodoo Ti cross bike, though :thumbsup:

mud'n'sweat said:
Oh, what about this! VooDoo with sliding drop outs for SS or geared :)

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=11388&category=2755

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
I'd concur with PBB. If you have a hardtail you want to convert, it is a great way to test the SS waters without dropping the coin. If you are sure that SS is what you wish to do and are getting a new frame, get one that gives you some options for chain tensioning now. Gear easy and walk when you have to. You'll be in better shape before you know it!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I belive the zion is not going to meet your wheel clearance issue, there's been a couple threads on the subject, so try a search.

I'd go with... on-one, soma, voodoo.... might also throw a redline & kona unit/explosive in the mix.
I like the longish toptube & standover of the inbred, soma & kona's.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the feedback so far, it has been really helpful.

Someone recommended the Explosif on another forum the other day, and It have been keyed in on it ever since I looked into it last night. With the sliding rear drop outs, I think I'm going to go for the gold and just set it up SS as soon as it's in my hands. I'm getting a great price from a local dealer should I decide to go with it. It's a dealer I would really like to show some support to as well. Things are looking to be nearing a close hopefully. :thumbsup:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Haha, I was really thinking this was the 29" forum for a while. Most of the mentionned brands have similar 29" offerings.
I think 26" singlespeeds are quickly losing ground. Many 29" models being added, 26" models merely continued. IMHO 29" makes extra sense with singlespeed, it just rocks. The 2 together are 1. Or 3, depending how you look at it. I could stand a 26" gearie much better than a 26" SS.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
Hey everyone. I'm looking to purchase a new steel hardtail frame and was looking for some input. I was looking at the On One Inbred, the Zion 660, Soma Groove and the Nashbar Reynolds 853 frame on sale. This bike is going to start out as an 8 speed and eventually be converted to a SS once I feel like I'm strong enough. I currently ride a Ellsworth FS that I like, but I want a more simplified hardtail for the fast buff stuff and muddy days when I don't want to gum up my pivots.

Tire clearance is a huge issue for me. I need something to accomodate a 2.25 - 2.3 rear tire. I like the Geax Sturdy 2.25 rear a lot and it is definitely larger than most any other 2.25. I know this tire just barely fits the On One and I have heard the Zion 660 has clearance issues. The Nashbar looks nice, but I'm not sure about it since I have not seen any reviews. The Inbred and the Nashbar run about $350 each and the Zion at about $250. I basically want a solid frame, that climbs well and provides good tire clearance as well as IS Disc mounts.

here is the Nashbar Frame (I'm leaning towards this one)http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=17655&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Zione 660
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR410A01-Zion+660+Frame.aspx

On One Inbred
http://pricepoint.com/detail/14576-175_ONOIN5-3-Parts-60-Frames/On-One-Inbred-Geared-Frame.htm

Soma Groove
http://pricepoint.com/detail/12916-175_SOMGM3-3-Parts-60-Frames/Soma-Groove-Mountain-Frame.htm

Thanks for your help!
the On-One Inbred is an incredibly nice bike....I HIGHLY recommend it. While I had the 29er version, I can only assume the 26" version is equal in its quality and relative ride.

excellent customer service too.....cant say enough about that these days as that is what sets companies apart for me as well.

cheers

·
giddyup!
68 Posts
On-One Inbred: stateside, great tire clearance

mud'n'sweat said:
I was really interested in this until I found out it won't be in the states for awhile.
Mine just arrived on my doorstep two days ago, thanks to Dave at redstonecyclery.com (no affiliation). Got the slidey dropouts (steel, gear hanger). I'll be building up a singlespeed. I had the non-slidey SS version and I loved it, but it was stolen. I ran 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptors and 2.35 Kenda Blue Groove and there was *plenty* of room. There is at least as much room on the slidey drop version of the frame.

The pic of the rear wheel is the Kenda Blue Groove. Look closely and you'll see there's quite a bit of room.

Eric

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.