Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 atom 80 coil/oil shock which I recently changed the oil using 5 weight motorcycle shock oil. I used the recommended amount in each leg as posted on the Marzocchi tech site- 100cc in R and 95cc in L leg. The travel has decreased to 2 inches since this maintenence. What did I do wrong? Do I just remove some of the oil to regain my lost travel? All suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

·
what...?
695 Posts
you may still have had oil in the damper and when you added the new oil, you now may have too much, not allowing full travel.
check this site for proper maintenence: http://myweb.cableone.net/rkindig/marz_marathon_s.html

IIRC, the proper oil HEIGHTS for the atom80 is 40mm from the top, 45mm if you are a light rider. Always use the height measurement, its more accurate, by using the straw method outlined in BikerX's instructions.
And use Spectro Golden 125/150 cartridge oil!!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I assume that the oil height is measured with the shock compressed. When i emptied the old oil from the shock,I cycled/compessed and released the shock multiple times to empty the damper cartridge.

·
what...?
695 Posts
right!
make sure you remove the springs before setting the oil height. and cycle the damper shaft by itself to get all the oil out.
It's all in the instuctions in the link. He just is using a 105mm fork, but the internals are the same. when you have it all back together, use the oil heights as a starting point, until you find what you like.
I ran my Atom80 around 45mm cause I like plush and full travel, even tho I am 230.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.