Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a bike as I've just started doing some trail and downhill riding with a friend. I need some advice or someone to plain out point me in the right direction!!!
I am looking at 3 bikes on bd.com and need some advice on which one I should go with!?!

The 1st one is a Gravity-FSX-2.0- image.jpg
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Gravity FSX 2.0

The 2nd is a DAWES-Roundhouse 2000- image.jpg
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Dawes Roundhouse 2000

The 3rd is a MOTOBECANE-450DS- image.jpg
Save Up to 60% Off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Motobecane 500DS

Those are the 3 I am looking at, was wondering out of those 3 which one is my best option!???! And other advice or suggestion is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Get the hardtail from BD and you have less problems. The 3 choices that you have are not what you are looking for. When it comes to full suspension it's better to stick with big brands. Giant, cannondale, wth Spech.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm looking for a soft suspension because I had a 2 knee surgeries in the last 3 years.
So that's why I'm looking at full suspension!
What bikes would you recommend from that website in that price range for me?

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Pedaling one of those f/s 'boat anchors' up a hill will probably contribute to more knee aggravation than settling for a lighter hard tail. Honestly, at your pricepoint I'd comb the used market for a 26" with an AL frame and higher quality components.

·
Trail Ninja
6,169 Posts
Save up a bit more until you have at least $1200 or so to spend, if you want full suspension. Probably should allocate another $250 for riding gear (helmet, gloves, etc) and maintenance reasons (to repair flat tires, torn grips, bad tires, etc.), too. Try shopping JensonUSA for KHS, Fuji, etc. (actually all the brands they carry are good) as they pass a ton of savings to the consumer, since these are prior year models. They're running a promo right now too, $75 off orders over $500.

I'd rather have no suspension, than crappy suspension. If you look to spend any less than $1200, you likely will be looking at used bikes to have decent enough suspension, though they probably need replacement parts and other maintenance, which adds to the cost. That or you'd have to compromise some how and get a non-full suspension bike. The problem is that the bike likely is not going to satisfy you at the price point you're shopping in. If you ever want to ride with other people, they will urge you to get a "real bike", if you were on something like your original options. I bet everyone in this thread who has advised against your choices has had that experience with cheap bikes that caused more frustration, and wound up sitting in the garage hardly ridden (broken, or just not enjoyable), which turns out to be a waste of money. Save up, and you will be rewarded. The more you spend, up to about $2500 or so for full suspension, the better the bike gets, and many people find the extra expenditure worth it. You don't start getting less for your money until over about $2500 (what we call diminishing returns).

There's a bicycle blue book, if you want to see if used bikes are good deals or not. Seems to be based on prices of bikes that have sold on well-known listing sites, like eBay, so the price estimates aren't too off. I once thought it low-balled me on the price of my Trek, a $5600 MSRP bike down to $2000 used after 3 years, but that does seem to be going price.

Something like this, is what 1200 could buy you if you went used: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/MarketListingDetail.aspx?id=180 (solid quality bike, nothing too fancy, nothing too cheap)

A lot of questions to be asked about this find, but it's in your budget and it's from a really hot name brand, and could be a bargain if all the parts are in sound working condition: 2002 Yeti Kokopelli AS Disc upgraded size(m) - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Go used and look for something in this century. Use bikepedia to look for brands and models based on your findings.

Brands are too many to list but the typical will be Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, GT, Rocky Mountain, Jamis, Diamondback, etc.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Downhill like a resort, or downhill like your trails have some descending? Descending is part of almost all cycling, but there is also a particular riding discipline, with its own set of gear.

+1 to a nice secondhand hardtail. Learn good pedaling form to protect your knees.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Out of those bikes, I'd be most inclined to go with the Dawes if you're interested in 'downhill' type riding. It's got slacker angles than the Moto and won't ride quite as much like a pogo-stick as the Gravity. You will get a good amount of brake jack (the design is similar to a lot of Kona's), but that's something you're not going to avoid without spending quite a bit more money.

Overall, you might be best served with a used heavier-duty hardtail. Seeing as you mentioned downhill (as asked before - you planning or riding chairlifts or just bombing down the local hills?) I would avoid any sort of 29er. Same goes if you think you're going to be seeking out the local jumps, etc. Brand is also far less important than getting the right 'style' of bike - at the low end of pricing, there's not really much difference across the major brands.

The more you can share about where and how you plan on riding, the more specific info people will be able to give you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been just riding local hills and bluffs, nothing big!
I'm just looking for a bike I can get on and ride everyday, and be comfortable on my knee, being full suspension or hard tailed. I'm not trying to go all out and spend over $500, I am just trying to do it a little better and get a little better of a bike than you would get from wal-mart. So not trying to be a cheap ass but also not trying to spend 2 pay checks.
Thanks

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
I've been just riding local hills and bluffs, nothing big!
I'm just looking for a bike I can get on and ride everyday, and be comfortable on my knee, being full suspension or hard tailed. I'm not trying to go all out and spend over $500, I am just trying to do it a little better and get a little better of a bike than you would get from wal-mart. So not trying to be a cheap ass but also not trying to spend 2 pay checks.
Thanks
You can get a decent new hardtail or a really nice used hardtail for $500.

You will get more bang for your buck with a 26er because people are selling tons of them because they want to buy 29ers/27.5ers. High supply, low demand. I think a cheap FS will be harder on your knee because of pedaling efficiency than a decent hardtail.

My suggestion is to go test ride stuff. Test ride stuff at shops, craigslist, pinkbike. see what you like, what feels good.

Also, as a newbie I wouldnt worry so much about wheelsize. Until someone can prove to me that one is better (hint, its not) than the others, ill continue to just ride and not worry about it.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm fairly new to the sport but I went the BD route w/a HardTail - I followed these guys' advice. I've decided I just want HT bikes, my next upgrade will be for sure. I have the 450ht but there are nicer ones a bit over your budget.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Also make sure the bike fits you. If the bike doesn't fit you, it could amplify your knee problems. I agree with these guys...go for a used hardtail, you'll get a better bike.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I used this chart: (I'm 5'11'.5'') got a 21 frame:

13" (xsm) standover 27.9" fits most riders 4'11" to 5'3"
16" (sm/md) standover 29.2" fits most riders 5'3" to 5'8"
18" (sm/md) standover 30.6" fits most riders 5'8" to 5'11"
19.5" (medium) standover 31.6" fits most riders 5'11" to 6'0"
21" (medium/large) standover 32.7" fits most riders 6'0" to 6’3”
22.5" (large) standover 33.9" fits most riders 6'2” +

1 - 20 of 27 Posts