Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm looking for a little direction on how to spend my money wisely. Note I said wisely not cheaply. I am diving back into all mountain moutain biking and want the best fs bike I can get or put together.

I'm a big guy 6"5 and put my gear thru torture tests. Being a 300lb ex football player there really isn't any other way.

I currently run an older specialized stumpjumper hardtail all xtr components with an old rock shox Judy I believe. Obviously I've been out of the loop for a while.

I've been eyeballing the superfly 100, xxl of course.

But I've started thinking maybe carbon stuff may not be my best option.

I want to be ready for spring so I'm not a aginst a slow build If need be or if a manufacturer offers the full boat such as a superfly Im into that too.

Thanks for any direction anyone can suggest, I like to do a lot of research. And like I said I wanna buy it right the first time. Thanks

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For all mountain, maybe you should look towards a Niner RIP, Ventana El Capitan, a Astrix Monk or a Lenz Behemoth. If I wanted a tough FS bike, I'd probably lean towards those bikes, they all have a good rep for being tough frames. Or you could get a custom waltworks FS frame, he has experience building FS bikes for large riders.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I sure hope this does not start the carbon fiber debate but i would never consider a carbon frame for myself and I am 190 lbs.
Another thing to consider is resale value, I would never ever ever buy a used carbon frame especially an XXL from a 300 pound guy. Actually i would never buy a used carbon frame, even from a little guy.

At your weight i would do a ground up build, i am guessing the oem rims won't last long and i think that bike comes with 1.9 tires. Yikes

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your going to get a 100 different opinions with your question contingent on what people prefer. All the bikes mentioned are great, if you are willing to spend the SF kind of money you honestly have all the best options in the world. As for Carbon, its honestly the real deal - dont let anyone make you think otherwise. The SF is a great choice but set up race ready, a lot your decision should be based on your riding style. Personally I like have the flexibility of choosing a frame, then building the bike up from there. Niner, Santa Cruz. Pivot, Fisher SF are all top notch choices. If your interested in Carbon, the Tallboy is the real deal allowing you the flexibility to start with a frame. Good luck....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you guys for all the input. Ive been looking up all the suggestions as they come in and am starting to lean towards building. Now it seems as though i have a lot more research to do from components to wheels to shocks to tires. But being a guy who loves to wrench it seems like its gonna be fun. Like i said with my size and aggressive demeanor i need to purchase quality stuff

·
Your Best Friend
5,655 Posts
At your size and intended riding style you really need to take the SF 100 off your list. It is an XC race bike.

Your best bet for 29er all mountain rides are:

Turner Sultan
Niner Rip 9
Lenz Behemoth or PBJ

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Just keep in mind you'll end up spending a lot more if you build. If you're just getting back into it maybe buy somethin complete and then slowly upgrade after you start riding more and know what you like and don't like.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Silentfoe said:
At your size and intended riding style you really need to take the SF 100 off your list. It is an XC race bike.

Your best bet for 29er all mountain rides are:

Turner Sultan
Niner Rip 9
Lenz Behemoth or PBJ
Agreed...I would add the 429 to this list above....but pick your frame before the parts.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd look at the Turner, Ventana and Lenz FS 29'er frames and build-up from scratch. You are way too big for a carbon Fisher. Anyone that tells you otherwise is likely half your weight and doesn't understand the stresses you'll put on the bike. I personally would be scared to ride one of those things. Everyone that I've known that rides carbon and exceeds 200lbs has had issues from cracks to catastrophic failures. Check out the some sturdier frame offerings and have an experienced builder lace you a set of solid but reasonably light wheels. The part spec is personal choice but most typical XC-AM components should work fine for a big guy.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Ditto on building up a Turner, Ventana, Lenz, or Custom (especially at your size.) If I were you I would get a couple builders on the phone & see what they suggest in dimensions, tube thicknesses @ various pjunctions, etc to compensate for your size & riding style. Also, back to the first post, if you want to truly do it once, I say definately custom or Frame build up- It's a fun process & IMO you love your bike more when you have a hand in creating all it's bit's & pieces...Also, building doesn't have to be expensiive- You can find great deals on parts just don't buy from China or Taiwan. Also, be very careful (especially with your build) of where you get your wheelset from. IMO- Most important & most frequently screwed up components on a bike. You're on the right track- Have fun with it!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.