Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Rockshox Pyslo SL. Last year I changed the oil and the fork seemed to work better than when I got it. I've began using the fork on bigger jumps (4ft) and noticed that the fork wasn't rebounding as well as I would have hoped. It never bottomed out, but it didn't feel like it was ready for the next jump. So, this year I bought the next heavier (blue) spring, replacing the red spring (I weigh 190 lbs). After replacing it, the shock feels very harsh. I've tried adjusting the rebound, but haven't really noticed a difference between the slow and fast settings. Furthermore, there is a modest amount of oil on the damper adjuster knob/bolt. According the rockshox website (Tuning Tips), the rebound damper unit may need replaced as a result.

I feel confident in my abilities to repair the shock, but before I do, I was hoping for some answers and advice from anyone who can offer me some...

• Is the harsh ride due to lost oil or the heavier spring?
  • What is the "Pure Rebound Damper Upgrade Kit", which is listed as a spare part?
  • Is the part that I should replace called, "UTurn Pure Rebound Damper"?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
What part of the stroke is Harch to you??

Specifically, the rebound stroke or the compression?

I ask because my stock 02 SL has always had a harch compression stroke. The rebound has alway felt fine. (Stock parts).

One suggestion to try is run 7.5 wt oil, that will definately give you better rebound damping.

With the 7.5 wt oil I ran the compression damp a full 3 clicks more open to eliminate most, but not all of the harshness.

-Aaron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
Specifically, the rebound stroke or the compression?

I ask because my stock 02 SL has always had a harch compression stroke. The rebound has alway felt fine. (Stock parts).

One suggestion to try is run 7.5 wt oil, that will definately give you better rebound damping.

With the 7.5 wt oil I ran the compression damp a full 3 clicks more open to eliminate most, but not all of the harshness.

-Aaron
To be honest, I'm not sure which is harsher. I just know that when I ride my hands and arms aren't as happy as they should be. I'll consider using the heavier oil. Could the harsh ride be due to a decreased oil volume? Since the shock is leaking (ever so slightly), I'm not sure I understand how that affects the ride.

Thanks for the reply Aaron. Answers or advice from anyone would be great!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've riden on the fork a couple more times now and have noticed that it feels harsh either way. I'm going to switch back to the the red spring for now...

I'm still concerned about the leaking oil around the dampening bolt. Actually, oil is also leaking around the seals now. So, when I eventually crack open the fork, I'll have to replace the seals. I'm not ready to take the fork to an expert yet. I'm still hoping for some more insight from other mtbr forum readers. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since Sram aquired Rockshox, support has gone from good to almost none. The manuals that used to come with them had all the info you could need. Now the answer to every question is "take it to a dealer". I have an '01 Psylo and now an '04. I think the older one is better and the next fork I buy will probably NOT be a Rockshox.

·
King Lurker
56 Posts
Sounds like too much oil...

When you switched out the spring did you put the proper amount of oil back in? The left leg (spring side) only takes 30cc of oil. If you over fill this side it will feel harsh and not get full travel. By the way 30cc is 1oz of fluid. Good luck on finding the problem.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Also, I've heard the rebound adjuster can get jammed by the lower leg bolt. If it feels like the knob is turning with no change in damping (feels like the allen key is stripped), try loosening the lower bolt a few turns, then turn the rebound adjuster in (clockwise) till it stops (lightly), then snug the bolt back up. This should free the rebound so you can turn it back out counter-clockwise as needed. (if that's the problem)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Krash said:
When you switched out the spring did you put the proper amount of oil back in? The left leg (spring side) only takes 30cc of oil. If you over fill this side it will feel harsh and not get full travel. By the way 30cc is 1oz of fluid. Good luck on finding the problem.
I used a syringe to add the oil, so I'm sure the oil added is correct, at least for the spring side. The PURE damping side could be a different story though, since I've noticed that some oil is leaking. The lock-out still works.

I need to check the sag with each spring. I may have been to hasty in switching the the heavier spring. My biggest concern at the moment is figuring out if my compression damping is wrecked. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fsrxc said:
Also, I've heard the rebound adjuster can get jammed by the lower leg bolt. If it feels like the knob is turning with no change in damping (feels like the allen key is stripped), try loosening the lower bolt a few turns, then turn the rebound adjuster in (clockwise) till it stops (lightly), then snug the bolt back up. This should free the rebound so you can turn it back out counter-clockwise as needed. (if that's the problem)
Actually, I have noticed that. It seems as if I have to really crank that knob in order to get it to feel like it's moving and not just slipping. I'll be sure to try your suggestion. Thanks!!

If in fact I do have to replace the rebound damper, I know what to order and from where, but does anyone know what the "rebound damper upgrade kit" is??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.