Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You Guys Riding?
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm planning on swapping out my big ring for a bash guard, as I rarely use it and it's bent to sh**

Anyways, I need some help with properly sizing it on my Prophet 1000. I'm planning on getting an E.thirteen 104 mm 44t guard, but there's also a 110mm 44t guard that they make. I was wondering what the difference between the two is, and if I should be getting the other one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Peace to all Cannondale riders

D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lev, the 44T sized guards are for use with large single rings for downhilling. You may want to consider getting one the same size as your inner ring (probably 32T), which will be lighter and more out of the way. A 32T bash will cover a 32T chainring.

Most Cranks these days are 4x104mm, and you can easily figure out what size by using a ruler. A 32 tooth, 4x104mm e13 might be perfect for you.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
You need a 32T x 104mm BCD as pin-it stated.

E.13 bashrings are large so if you have a 32T middle ring, get a 32T guard. A 44T will be so big, you would have less clearance than with the big chainring in the first place. I replaced my middle ring with a 36T and got a 36T E.13 and it's just perfect, the bash is a little bit bigger than the chainring so when the chain is on it, it is well protected.

·
You Guys Riding?
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo Dan,

Follow up question for ya. I am also planning on swapping out my 32t middle ring for a new one. Curious what your thoughts are on the 36t. I'm an all mountain east coast rider that enjoys it all, techy climbs included. I like climbing in the middle ring, and the 36t might be a little overkill. Wondering what type of riding you do. On the other hand, without the big ring, a 36t might be kind of nice... Thanks buddy

Lev

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I was afraid to lose too much top speed by ditching the 44T and being limited at 32x11... With the 36T, I can still go fast enough on most speedy sections except maybe when hitting a fire road or other smooth and fast sections. I didn't have any trouble adjusting myself to the new gearing. I still climb with the 36T sometimes but I have ridden my F1000 with a 32/44 x 12-27 gearing and steep inclines never stopped me... I am known to pound big gears though, like Jan Ulrich without blood transfusions. :D You just use a cog or two higher in the back and it's about the same thing. I wouldn't go back to the 32 unless I put back the 44. But since you already have the 32, I'd say try that first by not using the 44 at all and if you need a bigger gear, step up to a 36.

I'm also an All Mountain east coast rider (just north of the border) that enjoys all. My typical trails are filled with rocks of all sizes and shapes, roots, steep climbs and descents, short ones, long ones, technical ones, mud, water, everything... I really love sections that give me troubles. Once you clear a very hard section for the first time, you are very happy and then you get it every time afterwards...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.