Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain "MRC Med" to me?

I read up at the Hutchinson site but am not understanding the full differences in their compounds (I wonder if they are just branded 50/60/70 sh/A).

They say they are faster/slower rebound, but does that also mean they are a stickier compound?

And stickier as in slower rolling?

Thanks.:thumbsup:

P

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
MRC High is the more XC, better rolling, longer wearing compound.

MRC Medium is a grippier rubber that should roll a bit worse, wear a bit faster. I think it's a Shore A 60 (it's written on the label, I can check tonight at home on mine).

MRC Low grips more, wears fast and rolls slower.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan Gerous said:
MRC High is the more XC, better rolling, longer wearing compound.

MRC Medium is a grippier rubber that should roll a bit worse, wear a bit faster. I think it's a Shore A 60 (it's written on the label, I can check tonight at home on mine).

MRC Low grips more, wears fast and rolls slower.
Thanks for the fast reply! I have a much better understanding now - maybe you should write the copy for their website as you explaination is much more clear. :)

P

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Basically Dan is correct.

The issue with "soft," "hard," "sticky" and the other descriptions is while they are related to the durometer of the rubber the specific properties of the compounds can vary a lot from company to company. Some "hard" compounds can be grippy, some "soft" rubbers can be slick. Same goes for wear and rolling resistance among other properties. The design of the casing and tread affects the way the compounds perform, too.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan Gerous said:
What are you looking for exactly?
Simple.

Low rolling resistance.
Great cornering.
Great braking.
Great drive traction.
Pinch flat resistant.
Light weight.

Great in loose...
Great on hard pack.

If they pedaled for me... bonus!

:D

My challenge is that no one tire can do all of those features listed. So I am looking for the best compromise, which is also a research into what features are most important to me. For example, I just figured out that I'm perfectly happy to compromise weight to obtain more pinchflat resistance...

My other challenge is that I want one tire that can rail speedy foothill hardpack singletrack while still allow me to bomb high mountain loose terrain.

Gee, am I asking too much....:rolleyes:

I'm pretty close right now, high mountain tests coming up next week :thumbsup:

Current combo is Conti Diesel 2.5 F and IRC Trailbear 2.25 R. Both have really good traction and low RR.

P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.