Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Go faster!
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello weight weenies,

I've been having fun with my lightweight bike for 8 or 9 years now since I built it at that time. Wow that went fast... I built it for just over 8Kg and it has been a great bike, riding rocky trails, fire roads, tarmac, everywhere without any issue!

I would like to upgrade the bike to drop some weight and thought about starting with wheels. I started searching for carbon rims but there's no 26inch carbon rim to be found anywhere. :sad: :bluefrown: AX lightness has them but they are tubulars... which I'm not a fun of.

Are there any other options? Or is it better to start searching for all the parts for a new bike sub 8kg bike? 27.5inch? or 29inch?

What parts should I select for a recent sub 8kg bike?

Thanks!

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
I don't know about carbonfan but I can attest to the quality of light-bicycle rims! My friend has a set that has lasted 3 years of hard riding so far. Kes
Mine lasted 4 years, until the rear one gave up, (must say it was user error, not to blame LB) but, searching for the replacement, the best cost-weight relation I found was Carbonfan, 27.5, 25 mm IW, 300 gr, $200 each

Attachments

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
If you're looking for more budget, find some ZTR 355's. I built up a set with DT240s's and Sapim CX ray spokes and the wheelset came in at 1265g including valves and tape. I've seen them NOS on ebay for as cheap as about $15.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
If you're looking for more budget, find some ZTR 355's. I built up a set with DT240s's and Sapim CX ray spokes and the wheelset came in at 1265g including valves and tape. I've seen them NOS on ebay for as cheap as about $15.
And Lasers are just as light and strong as x-rays and way cheaper. Sapim lays down some heavy marketing BS on their spokes, but bladed is for looks when it comes to mountain bikes.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Sapim spokes have confusing names. The lightest is in fact the CX Super spoke, which is lighter than the CX-Ray. I've used them for 6 wheels recently, all of which have held up fine.

If the reviews are to be believed, they are not only the lightest steel spokes ever have been made, but also very strong due to the swaging.

https://www.starbike.com/en/sapim-super-cx/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.