Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all on the forum.

Living here in Colorado Springs I've become horribly addicted to the traction capabilities of the Nokian line of tires. Have 3 sets (2 for 26's and one for cross bike) & with all the snow we've been getting lately, I've kept the cross bike mounted up while waiting for my Niner Rip to arrive.

Low and behold, the only real alternative offered is the Nokian W240, comes out to about a 700X40 w/240 studs. I realize no float, but I've been doing all my snow riding on my cross bike so I'm quite used to it. I lead rides in and around the city and have to contend w/mucho ice & the knobbies just don't cut it on their own.

Now I find out that the only source of this particular model is out for the season. I just got my I9's last week and the frame should ship w/in days so I'm looking for a bit of assistance with procuring a set of W240's and I thought I'd fly it out hear.

Does anyone have specific info as to a shop that might have these or a private party willing to broker a deal? I've done the E-bay thing and checked all the internet sources I can think of so this has been thoroughly researched.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know the feeling. I love the Nokian Extremes but now that I'm on 29'er I'm really missing the grip of good studded tires. I don't know where you can source the 240's but as soon as nokian comes out with a real 29'er studded tire I'll be all over it. Worth every penny.

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

ChidDONG & Snowdrifter...thank you for the replies and I have a message pending for both haverhillinn & peterwhite. I hope to track a pair down through the distributor that peterwhite uses.

The other alternative for ice riding is the Schwalbe 700X38 that seems to have widely spaced studs (~120 of them) and might be a good tire to get me through the winter on the Niner for rides that have a lot of ice transitions.

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found 2 sets...in Alaska!

Snowdrifter,

Your tip for Haverhill Inn was fruitful. I let them know you sent me their way and I believe Noreen will be thanking you when you bring your bike in ;)

She directed me to Beaver Sports up in Fairbanks and they do have 2 sets but are ~$80 a pop + shipping due to their local. I'm going to need to stew on that one for a little bit.

Jeff, the guy that runs Beavers bike shop (sounds cute, no?) raved about the Exiwolfs (I have a new set here & Nevegals on the way) and says they perform on the snow very, very well. He is using Snowcat rims and highly recommends them for their WIDE profile.

Something else to think about for my build but having cashed out my party budget on the Rip9/Duc32 hard anno/I9 combination...I might have to hold off on any other "upgrades" for awhile!

·
-bustin punks
699 Posts
I have a set - not even "broken in" yet

Howdy -

I have a set of W240s that have been mounted and ridden once (still don't even have the 30 "break-in" miles on them) tp the grocery store and back. I'm not going to give them away, but I just don't need them with the winters we've had the past few years. Send me a pm and we can talk about a reasonable price. I'm in SE Michigan and will ship via UPS, FedEx, etc...

FCTi

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Second the suggestion to call Peter White. Very responsive on the phone. I got my hard-to-get studder (700x45 Hakkapeliitta in my case) within days.

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope the Niner Rip & Nokian combo look/work better than this!

We call it a Colorado Winter Bike Rack...just ride in, get off and walk away. Presto, holds the bike until Spring! Apologize for the non-absolute-29'er content but it's my absolute favorite bike right now and I dismantled the 26'er while I waited for my Niner to arrive.

Actually, the snow is just a heavy accumulation for our area, just had to see how far I'd punch through. Can't wait to get the Rip...I know it'll go at least a foot further in :D

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.