Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
pain don't hurt
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I rush home to make time to fit in a ride. Got my bike loaded up on my shiny new roof rack. Problem is, everytime the car hits a bump, I hear an awful creaking from above. I pull over and check it, everything is tight, but it still creaks. I switch the bike to the other tray and it creaks just as bad. The guy at the bike shop checked everything and all the bolts are tight and he assured me the bike was on securely.

But I can't get it out of my head that something is wrong. Have any of you had this type of problem before?

My rack is a Thule with two V2 trays. Bike has a Reba. :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does your bike rack attach to a roof rack?

Like those found on station wagons or SUVs? I experienced the same sypmtoms you reported, and discovered that the roof rack on my Volvo wagon needed to be tightened a little-it was only noticable when there was a load on the roof. It may also help to fasten the clamp for the Thule crossbar directly over the place where the front and side pieces of the roof rack meet. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
also rain gutter or door jam mount?

LakeBluffer said:
Like those found on station wagons or SUVs? I experienced the same sypmtoms you reported, and discovered that the roof rack on my Volvo wagon needed to be tightened a little-it was only noticable when there was a load on the roof. It may also help to fasten the clamp for the Thule crossbar directly over the place where the front and side pieces of the roof rack meet. Good luck.
rain gutter mounts will creak..mine allways did. door jam mounts tend to reak havoc on weather stripping..

·
certified mtb addict
163 Posts

I'm not sure of the design of the Thule setup, but I have the same setup as in the above image and it had a persistent creak in it. A quick spray with WD40 or RP7 around the metal on metal clamping part got rid of the sound completely. That would have been about 6 months ago now and the noise hasn't returned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.