Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! i have a diamondback sl-7 rear hub that i want to replace the freehub body because the bearing inside is grainy and loud and probably rusted. i'm not sure what is compatible with my hub though, one reason is that the 11mm freehub fixing bolt is >500 nm tight and i can't get it off:madman:

here are some pics
DSC07718.jpg
DSC07720.jpg
DSC07719.jpg

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Sounds like every Formula hub with a bolt on freehub body I've ever come across. First off most of them sound like they use gravel for bearings brand new so there may be nothing "wrong" with it.

To remove them I've have to use a very strong vice to hold the 11mm hex then turn the wheel like a bus steering wheel to get that bolt to break loose. Then once (if) you get it off, remove the rear seal and drip some oil into the freehub body and work the bearings till things get a little smoother. Then use grease on the bolt and tighten it less than it came from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a good idea, and let me double check: counter clockwise to loosen when looking at the cassette side on this hub right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts