Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older (mid 90's) sovos freehub (sorry if I'm not using the correct terms...) that I took it apart because it occasionally skips. The cogs inside were chipped in several places like I expected. For anyone who has dealt something like this... Does the part I circled in red come off so I can install a new freehub or is it integral to the rear hub? If it's integral can that outer shell of the freehub be replaced? If the freehub can be replaced does anyone have a recommendation? I don't need high end stuff for this bike. Thanks!

Spoke Bicycle accessory Rim Iron Metal

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
A 12mm allen bolt is accessible from the other side. But you will need to find a freehub body that is the exact same one as you want to replace. You just can't grab any freehub and expect it to fit. You are more than likely going to have to replace the rear wheel due to lack of parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 12mm allen bolt is accessible from the other side. But you will need to find a freehub body that is the exact same one as you want to replace. You just can't grab any freehub and expect it to fit. You are more than likely going to have to replace the rear wheel due to lack of parts.
Yeah I know it might be hard to find parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
many Shimano clone hubs like that need a 11mm allen.

chances of finding a replacement freehub are basically zero, but I hope you do.

how did you get that bearing cup out of the freehub? I've tried and never succeeded.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
many Shimano clone hubs like that need a 11mm allen.

chances of finding a replacement freehub are basically zero, but I hope you do.

how did you get that bearing cup out of the freehub? I've tried and never succeeded.
Yeah I think I'm going to clean, re-lube and put it back together. It will be better than it was.

To get the bearing cup out I just by chance had a turning lying in my lathe tray that fit it exactly. I ground down and filed the edges till I had two teeth that fit it exactly. Then put vise grips on the turning and easily unscrewed it!

Thanks for your tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.