Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
:\ ping of death
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to remove my crank arm but Im not sure which type it is. It looks like my BB is square-tapered but is this crankarm a one-key system or does it use a lock ring? I dont have a crank puller but if its a one-key then I dont need one right? I went to parktools site and read up on the installation/removal. Informative but useless without the proper tools.

Basically what Im trying to do is remove all 3 chain rings. But the chainring bolts appear to have a capped side that just keeps spinning and spinning, obviousy because they arent threaded.

Here are the pics:









 

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Get yourself a crankpuller...

If you simply can't rationalize that, just take the bolt out and go do some urban riding...the crank will eventually come loose, just don't ride it loose. Your cranks are not 'one key'. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
No, square-taper (all manufacturers) is as, stated four equal square sides. ISIS (Raceface, FSA, Truvativ) uses 10 splines to which the crank engages and the Shimano proprietary version is Octalink which has eight engagment splines. The newest crank/bb interface(s) have the bb spindle attached to one of the cranks and the other is attached via a fixing bolt. Confusing isn't it?
phoeneous said:
Is square-tapered the same as ISIS Splined?
 

·
Live 2 Ride
Joined
·
6,185 Posts
I have the very same Truvativ cranks. The chainrings can not be removed from on another. The chainring bolts are not removable. the chainrings are meant to be replaced all three at once. To replace all three there is a BIG bolt on the back that hold all three chainrings on the crankarm.
 

·
:\ ping of death
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kona0197 said:
I have the very same Truvativ cranks. The chainrings can not be removed from on another. The chainring bolts are not removable. the chainrings are meant to be replaced all three at once. To replace all three there is a BIG bolt on the back that hold all three chainrings on the crankarm.
I was afraid of that. After studying it for a few minutes yesterday I realized that the cap on the left side of the granny and the screwhead on the right side of the big ring are all one piece. Fooey!

Can I access that bolt without removing the crankarm first? Do I need a lockring removal tool or will a crescent wrench work?

Thx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Before you get too carried away, try sourcing the replacement chain rings. As they're probably OEM, might be easier to purchase a new crankset with normal removable rings.
phoeneous said:
I was afraid of that. After studying it for a few minutes yesterday I realized that the cap on the left side of the granny and the screwhead on the right side of the big ring are all one piece. Fooey!

Can I access that bolt without removing the crankarm first? Do I need a lockring removal tool or will a crescent wrench work?

Thx.
 

·
:\ ping of death
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lebikerboy said:
Before you get too carried away, try sourcing the replacement chain rings. As they're probably OEM, might be easier to purchase a new crankset with normal removable rings.
Im actually going single ring. I already have the ring and the bash guard is on its way. I also have top change my crankarm(s) and BB for it all to work together.

This is will be my new setup:

FSA V-Drive Armset

FSA Platinum BB

Azonic A-Frame Pedals

BlackSpire MonoVeloce Ring (4 bolt, 104mm, 34t)

RaceFace Bash Guard [4 bolt, 104mm]

The only thing Im missing is the bolts to secure the crankarms + ring + bash together. Where can I buy these?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Any good bike shop should have them.
phoeneous said:
Im actually going single ring. I already have the ring and the bash guard is on its way. I also have top change my crankarm(s) and BB for it all to work together.

This is will be my new setup:

FSA V-Drive Armset

FSA Platinum BB

Azonic A-Frame Pedals

BlackSpire MonoVeloce Ring (4 bolt, 104mm, 34t)

RaceFace Bash Guard [4 bolt, 104mm]

The only thing Im missing is the bolts to secure the crankarms + ring + bash together. Where can I buy these?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top