Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a race tomorrow that I have trained for all year ect. My local race that I would consider my biggest race of the year.

My problem is rain. I've been training on my ht 29er on small block 8's. I like them. Our local trails drain pretty well but we just got about 2" of rain and riding in the rain here is few and far between.

I'm scared its gonna be pretty wet if it keeps raining but I have rode a day after a big rain and trails were perfect. Its mostly hardpack with lots of roots and a few rocks.

My options.

1. Run my ht 29er with small block 8's and leave it alone
2. Run my rip9 with ardent 2.4's (I'm slow on this bike and have not rode it in two months)
3. Run my ht 29er with one nevegal and one sb8 (where do I put the nevegal?)
4. Take the ardents off my rip and put on the ht. I don't know if the 2.4 will clear.
5. Drive 100 miles and pick up some kenda slant 6's for the ht.

What would you do?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I've got a race tomorrow that I have trained for all year ect. My local race that I would consider my biggest race of the year.

My problem is rain. I've been training on my ht 29er on small block 8's. I like them. Our local trails drain pretty well but we just got about 2" of rain and riding in the rain here is few and far between.

I'm scared its gonna be pretty wet if it keeps raining but I have rode a day after a big rain and trails were perfect. Bingo Its mostly hardpack with lots of roots and a few rocks.

My options.

1. Run my ht 29er with small block 8's and leave it alone
2. Run my rip9 with ardent 2.4's (I'm slow on this bike and have not rode it in two months)
3. Run my ht 29er with one nevegal and one sb8 (where do I put the nevegal?)
4. Take the ardents off my rip and put on the ht. I don't know if the 2.4 will clear.
5. Drive 100 miles and pick up some kenda slant 6's for the ht.

What would you do?
Ride what you normally ride

·
Registered
373 Posts
my take is that traction is the interface between the tread and the terrain. you change one of those and it becomes unfamiliar, hence the normal advice to not change anything the eve of an event. but the weather has already changed the terrain for you, so it would be unwise not to adapt. i don't know how well the ardents or nevegals do in the wet or mud, but you do know that the sb8's are poor in those conditions. i say change. if the frame won't clear a 2.4, the fork probably will, so put the nevegal in the rear if so.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I'd put the Ardent or Nevegal on the front. Or maybe even the Nevegal on the front and get the Slant Six to put on the rear.

As Shiggy said, the SB8's are horrible in the mud. I personally think they are horrible on anything but nice, fast hardpack.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that was a disaster. I ran the sb8's. Course was a little damp and should have been ok because for the most part we got no more rain.

5 minutes before the race starts the bottom falls out. We've already got like 2.5" in 24 hours and it rains like hell for about an hour and a half.

I led the first lap and was 3/4 way on the second 19 miles total race. Fork is stuck in lock out and I'm scared to death. Chain suck every 10 seconds or so. Chain is completely full of mud and bike is stuck in a climbing gear. Had a minute and a half lead on this beast of a guy with arnold quads. Got a pinch flat crossing a creek on a rock and I was done. I rode on the rim for about 1/2 mile and then got to the hills again and started pushing. I had 3 miles to go and was not gonna quit while in the lead as I knew nothing about the guy behind me and his troubles as everyones bike was toast.

He ended up catching up to me when I made the decision to put a tube in instead of pushing or riding flat. Got a second place and bike is toast. This course was a complete mud fest second lap and I honestly think that I would have had better traction on a road bike in the snow. I wrecked 3 times on off camber downhills that were orange clay steep descents. Just slide out and you would slip and slide to the bottom on your hands and knees.

Finished second.

Beer never tasted that good after today. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was fun as hell when I was leading, but man it was a slip and bleed. I've never really been scared riding a mountain bike and this was insane. I trained my tail off and left it all out there so I'm not too upset. Just played the cards I got dealt. I was within two minutes of my hauling a$$ lap on 9 miles.

Here is a pic after I washed my bike. You can see how much rain we got on the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.