Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Avid 6" mechs, and I have a problem. The fork's little tab things are too close to the rotor for me to fit the caliper in! The fork is a 2003 Rockshox Psylo XC. I can't manage to get the caliper's little hole things to align with the forks tab/hole things (I don't know all the techincal names) with beding the rotor. Does anybody know if i need an adapter or something? I need an answer quick!!!!
PLEASE HELP ME

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
ajw8899 said:
I just got my new Avid 6" mechs, and I have a problem. The fork's little tab things are too close to the rotor for me to fit the caliper in! I can't manage to get the caliper's little hole things to align with the forks tab/hole things (I don't know all the techincal names) with beding the rotor. Does anybody know if i need an adapter or something? I need an answer quick!!!!
PLEASE HELP ME
The only thing that's clear about your post is that you're working on the front brake.

What fork are you using? From your description, it sounds like a Manitou which uses Post Mount brake tabs. Are you saying the oversized mounting holes on the Avid caliper are not lining up with the threaded holes on the fork?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, im really sorry. Its a RS Psylo XC. The 2 tabs with the holes that are on the bottom left leg of the fork where you mount the caliper are too close to the rotor to be able to fit the caliper in between the tabs and the rotor. The holes on the caliper that are supposed to line up to the tabs on the fork cannot align, and if i try to make them align, the caliper's mounting bracket hit the fork's mounting tabs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ajw8899 said:
OK, im really sorry. Its a RS Psylo XC. The 2 tabs with the holes that are on the bottom left leg of the fork where you mount the caliper are too close to the rotor to be able to fit the caliper in between the tabs and the rotor. The holes on the caliper that are supposed to line up to the tabs on the fork cannot align, and if i try to make them align, the caliper's mounting bracket hit the fork's mounting tabs.
It should bolt right on. Are you sure all the pieces are there? It should look like this:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
ajw8899 said:
Ok, it sounds to me like you're trying to put the whole thing in there as an assembled unit. Stop me if I'm wrong.

Are you installing just the black adapter first? Once the adapter is installed and secured, then the caliper should be installed over it. The CPS hardware is what allows some freedom of movement (side-to-side in this case) to allow the caliper to center on the rotor.

I'm missing part of the puzzle because I can't envision what part of the adapter or caliper is hitting the IS tabs on the fork, so perhaps you can elaborate.

Also, if you don't already have them, be sure to download the installation instructions from Avid's website (AvidBike.com).

http://avidbike.com/7_techinfo/02 BBDB-MTN v3.pdf

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry if i sound stupid, but which part is the adapter? The only things that came in the box were the rotor, the caliper as a whole, and the mounting hardware.. Is the adapter a part of the caliper? Whats it look like?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Refer to that picture Shiggy posted. The black piece the the adapter. The caliper is just the cast silver piece with the red knobs on it. The CPS hardware is the stack of concave and convex washers between the caliper and adapter.

Am I going out on a limb here by saying you didn't read your instructions?

They are extremely simple to brakes to install, but all the time installers fudge them up a little because they don't completely understand the CPS system. Take the time to comprehend the instruction sheet, and as you're fiddling with the brake for the first time, you'll notice that the caliper has three degrees of freedom from the adaper/frame to allow perfect rotor alignment.

Install the adapter first, then loosely install the caliper along with the CPS hardware, then clamp the pads down using the red knobs to center the caliper, then torque the caliper bolts to spec. It's all outlined in the instructions.

Also, pay careful attention to the cable setup instructions. Use the lever's barrel adjusters only to remove slack from the cable. After that adjustment, lock the barrel adjusters in place and don't touch them -- make any further adjustments through pad spacing using the red knobs.

After the first install, it'll be a breeze because you'll know exactly what's going on.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ajw8899 said:
sorry if i sound stupid, but which part is the adapter? The only things that came in the box were the rotor, the caliper as a whole, and the mounting hardware.. Is the adapter a part of the caliper? Whats it look like?
The black "thing" in the pic in my post above is the "adapter". I call it the 'mount". The brake when sold aftermarket has the mount bolted to the caliper.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dunno guys... if the IS tabs are too close to the rotor, it sounds to me like he has it mounted on the wrong side of the tabs... or maybe he thinks it mounts between the tabs and the wheel, instead of hanging off to the right of the tabs?

I just installed some yesterday. The caliper bracket (the black thing) bolts to the insde of the tabs on the fork. Looking down from teh bars, that would be the right hand side, the side where the wheel is. (I'm not trying to sound patronizing, I'm just being as particular as I can so there's no possibility of confusion... the written word is a poor substitute for a pointed finger) If you're trying to bolt the caliper to the outside of the tabs, you're doing it wrong. That is, if you're on the left side of the bike, and you can see all of the bracket when it's bolted to the fork, it's on wrong. The tabs should be in front of the bracket as you're looking at it. In other words, the mounting tabs should not come between the bracket and the rotor.

The tabs should be fairly close to the rotor, but the caliper itself doesn't go between the tabs and the rotor... just the bracket. If there's not enough room between the tabs and the rotor for the bracket to go, maybe the tabs are bent? I'd think you'd see that damage automatically though... did you loosen up the cps bolts before trying to mount it? (Ie, the two bolts mounting the black piece to the caliper?) That might cause a pretty big misalignment...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, i got it. I hadnt loosened the stack of CPS bolts and such, and the brake was therefore pushing the rotor, so it seemed like the rotor would bend if i tried to attach. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.