Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I am looking for a good lightweight bike thats agile and that can go fast up steep climbs and pedals well but that also has freeride capibilities for the freeriding I encounter on my trails. I might buy a bike or buy the parts seperately and build it myself. Any sugestions on what bike or what parts I should get will be very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
more info please...

Jacques12345 said:
Hey! I am looking for a good lightweight bike thats agile and that can go fast up steep climbs and pedals well but that also has freeride capibilities for the freeriding I encounter on my trails. I might buy a bike or buy the parts seperately and build it myself. Any sugestions on what bike or what parts I should get will be very appreciated. Thanks!
there are plenty of folks who will give you great advice (much better than I of course) but to get that advice it will be better if you provide some more input. For example:

* Price of complete bike. This will clearly guide folks on boundaries of bikes that are even worth recommending.

* Do you have a sense of what lightweight means for you? Since you mention freeride capabilities, what does that mean to you (eg, 6 foot drops to flat)? Magnitude of freeriding certainly will have some correlation to the weight you will need to consider for the bike.

* How important is climbing to you in comparison to riding real technical downhills? Are you looking to do "most" of your riding on typical cross-country singletrack with fireroads etc....with only a very occassional real technical section or will it be the other way around?

Anyway, just thought I would throw some possible details out there for you to consider to help people give you more focused input.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Ok all do my best

I am looking to spend no more then 4000$ on the complete bike

I would like my bike to be a regular trail bike because most of my riding is done on aggresive xc expert lvl trails but I also want it to be strong enuff to take some freeride hits because I do do some occasional freeride when I encounter some on my trails but I would say no jumps higher then 6 feet.

I don't want a real heavy downhill/freeride bike because that will shorten my trail capabilities, it needs to be lightweight enuff to be able to climb with little problems and to pass throught the trails with good pedaling capabilities but I would also like it to be strong enuff for when I encounter the occasional jumps.

I hope this clarifies as much as possible what I want to do with my bike. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Great info...

Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Ok all do my best

I am looking to spend no more then 4000$ on the complete bike

I would like my bike to be a regular trail bike because most of my riding is done on aggresive xc expert lvl trails but I also want it to be strong enuff to take some freeride hits because I do do some occasional freeride when I encounter some on my trails but I would say no jumps higher then 6 feet.

I don't want a real heavy downhill/freeride bike because that will shorten my trail capabilities, it needs to be lightweight enuff to be able to climb with little problems and to pass throught the trails with good pedaling capabilities but I would also like it to be strong enuff for when I encounter the occasional jumps.

I hope this clarifies as much as possible what I want to do with my bike. Thanks in advance for any information.
Boy that sure makes it easier. Others with more knowledge will add I am sure but since I am on-line...what the heck, here is my attempt at providing some of my thoughts.

It sounds like you are certainly in the realm of a solid "all-mountain bike", "trailbike", or whatever the term of the day is. My view of this cateogry is exactly as you state....able to climb.....can pedal....but can handle the rougher stuff no problem.

My short list represents the bikes that made it to my initial list of bikes to consider that I thought would meet your need (was also my need exactly a few months ago...).

* Foes FXR
* Ellsworth Moment
* Intense 5.5
* Turner 5 Spot
* Yeti 575
* Ventana X-5
* Rocky Mountain ETSX-70

I can't imagine any of these bikes being a bad choice in general. What it boils down to, as it did with me, is what factors do you consider the most important. Factors I considered and ultimately prioritized to come to my conclusion were

* Price (none are terribly cheap but the Yeti is considerably less than all the others)
* Weight (Yeti I think wins here but the Intense is pretty light and a 5 Spot with an air shock gets pretty close with the X-5 about 1/4 lb more than 5 Spot I think).
* geometry (personal preference of course)
* ability to run air or coil shock if desired
* pedalling efficiency (theoretically at least, not sure if there is a practical difference in these bikes which are all IMPLEMENTED beautifully, regardless of linkage)
* stiffness/cornering (I think the Foes and X-5 win here)
* customer service (I think Ventana or Turner win here....but subjective of course)
* etc, etc

I personally did not care about what any single factor said based on theoretical physics etc....the reality in my mind is that a ride consists of many parameters and I simply focused on the ones that I felt were more important for my riding style (eg, lots of rutty ups and down where stiffness is a major plus).

For what it is worth, my final 2 choices came down to the 575 and the X-5, for different strengths and I went with the X-5 and could not possibly be happier. I have a Bullit, had a Tracer, had an S-works, have a Ti hardtail and it is the best bike I have ever ridden in my opinion. But again, I cant imagine you can go wrong with any of these bikes as long as you focus on what it is important to you and it feels right.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! Thanks allot, I do more xc so I need to to be more light then strong and I need to climb well and pedal well also but I also need to to be strong enuff for when I encounter the ocasional jump. Will be looking into all your suggestions. Thanks allot!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Thanks allot, I do more xc so I need to to be more light then strong and I need to climb well and pedal well also but I also need to to be strong enuff for when I encounter the ocasional jump. Will be looking into all your suggestions. Thanks allot!
That sounded kind of like me when I was looking. Though I could have gone with a solid 4" trailbike for virtually all of my riding (ie, could have easily kept my Tracer) I decided that I wanted to go 5" (or up to 5.75" with the Yeti). I am glad I did because with all things considered equal (eg, components), you are not really talking about a tangible weight difference between a good 5" and 4" trailbike and since I wouldn't be using this bike for racing anyway. I gotta be honest.....with virtually identical parts moved over from my Tracer, with the exception of now having a Talas in front and having to sell the Fox Float 100 (I think maybe a third of a pound difference), my riding times are almost identical and in some cases faster so I personally would go with 5". I also simply have more fun.

An additional piece of advise which may prove to be the best is to work with either Charles at Hammerheadbikes or Larry at mtnhighcyclery. These guys are tops....they know their stuff and ride the stuff that people want to know about.

Since you again mentioned XC as an important factor and you are at the point of looking further into bikes, I would also definitely consider the Titus Switchblade. While some people dont like interrupted seat tubes I think this bike has such a good reputation it needs to be on your research list.

Keep us posted....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts