1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I need some advice...

I'm looking for a lightweight bike (under 30 pounds),

something that can be jumped off stairs, dirt etc.

used for commuting one or two hours one way,

costs bout 1,000 USD ( want to upgrade little by little)

P.S. I live in Japan...

I've been doing research on what I think I want for the past month or so... I have a basic idea of what I want, but I would like to hear what you guys think...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The combination of what you want to do with the bike beats me.

For jumping and droping you would want something small, agile and sturdy. Upright position, seat way low. Plush fork.

For a 2 hour commute I would want something light, easy to pedal and fast. Racy position, body leaned forward. Minimal suspension. Could be a road bike even.

The second problem I have is that prices for bikes vary between countries quite a bit. And not everything is available everywhere.

So all I can do is a general recommendation: Did you consider to get two bikes? Maybe an old roadbike for the commute and a dirt jumper for the fun?

·
Registered
373 Posts
My best guess is:

Dirt Jump/Urban bike w/
-One wheel set with heavy rims and fat tires
-Another wheel set with lightweight skinny tires and roadie rims.
You could still keep the cost around or under 1000$

If you will use it for that type of riding, a bike under 30lbs is a BAD idea...unless you have an incredible amount of finesse and wheigh very little

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Kaba Klaus said:
The combination of what you want to do with the bike beats me.

For jumping and droping you would want something small, agile and sturdy. Upright position, seat way low. Plush fork.

For a 2 hour commute I would want something light, easy to pedal and fast. Racy position, body leaned forward. Minimal suspension. Could be a road bike even.

The second problem I have is that prices for bikes vary between countries quite a bit. And not everything is available everywhere.

So all I can do is a general recommendation: Did you consider to get two bikes? Maybe an old roadbike for the commute and a dirt jumper for the fun?
You can commute on a jump bike but you can't jump on a road bike. So if you have to pick one bike only go for a jump bike. Your gonna hate the commute but at least it won't bust in half after a big jump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.