Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my current stock tires on my Trek Fuel EX 8:
Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, 120tpi, aramid bead, 29x2.40˝

I live in FL so the conditions are mostly dry/sandy as I need low rolling resistance tires. Was originally thinking Maxxis Minion DHR II but those might be a heavy and unnecessary.
I heard maybe Forekaster in the rear and Maxxis Rekon in the front.
Or maybe Bontrager XR2 in the rear.

Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm in FL and have settled on a Rekon 2.6" front, and XR2 2.6" rear for the past year or so. If you can't fit a 2.6" rear (if it's a newer EX 8 you should be able to), the 2.35" XR2 is still a high volume fast rolling tire. Very fast rolling combo that provides plenty of grip for the speeds we ride at. Anything like a Minion is way overkill for us.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Moving soon but for SWFL over the last year I've run a 2.3 DHF on the front and 2.35 Ikon on the rear with good results. I like that combo pretty much anywhere unless it's wet then the Ikon isn't enough under braking. Outside of that I can't think of a much better rolling tire on the rear than an Ikon and the DHF is great anywhere on the front.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've run a combo of Ardent front/Forekaster rear, and it's been good so far. I run Rekons on my other bike and those roll decently fast with more grip than the combo. Forekasters roll fast but suffer when cornering in sand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
In NE FL. We really have a mixed bag of trail conditions here. I mostly ride my 2.8 tire hard tail and have had a really good time with some WTB Rangers, in the light / high grip compound. They are much better than I thought they'd be (by appearance) and grip on anything except leaves. Maybe an option if you like a little faster rolling tire.
That said, my go to is DHFs front and rear. There's nothing quite like them IMO. I don't mind a slower rolling tire however.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm in Central Florida, a Santos local, and ride a 2.6" Rekon on the front and 2.35" Ikon in the rear. Love the combo. I'm 155lbs in gear and run 18/19psi in the front and 22/23psi in the rear. The popular DHF/DHR combo is, IMO, a bit too aggressive for most Florida riding and too slow rolling.

·
Registered
662 Posts
XR3 front XR2 rear is a good combo from the Bontrager catalogue. I'm partial to Vittorias, Mezcal rolls a little faster than the Barzo but both are great for FL. Raced every course in the state series on Vittorias (except Tom Brown), no complaints.

Minions are overkill for FL, wrong kind of dirt and not enough DH speed to engage those big knobs. Shorter knob XC tires actually have more grip because there's more surface area and effective edges touching the trail without knob squirm. YMMV.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Vittoria Barzo in the front and Saguaro in the rear. TNT carcass set up tubeless on 24 mm internal width rims. These work well in most terrain in FL and are fast rolling and are relatively light.
The Goma is much more aggressive tread if needed but I only run those in the Rockies for the braking improvement. With the Gomas I run a 2.4" wide mounted on a 27 mm wide rim in the front and a 2.25" wide in the rear on a 24 mm wide rim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.