Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
freeridingfreddy said:
I'm new to the area and would like to know if West U Schwinn is the only Santa Cruz dealer nad if so is it a shop I should go to. Looks kinda shotty from the outside.
I know West U Cycles received some bad comments on another thread, but I have bought bikes from them and have no problems with Jeff or his staff. I just bought a SC Blur frame from there a few weeks ago, no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
help santa cruz houston buyer

freeridingfreddy said:
I'm new to the area and would like to know if West U Schwinn is the only Santa Cruz dealer nad if so is it a shop I should go to. Looks kinda shotty from the outside.
i was just in there last week, they have some of the new blur 2006 xc on hand and the new nomad.(what a bike).i pick my blur up from them about 8mo ago.super nice guys and they know a lot about santa cruz bikes, they do about 2 to 3 a week when i got mind.p.s. and they can do dream cycles kits too.that's the i got mind.good luck!

·
Bionic Mtn Biker
222 Posts
Despite the negative comments on another thread, I have to say that I've had an overall positive experience with West U Cycles. They are the only Santa Cruz dealer in Houston, so it's either go with them, or purchase out of town (or go online). The good thing is that they usually have a number of SC frames in stock, and a couple of complete bikes. The downside is that they don't stock many components, and you'll have to wait for an order to come in. Then again, they are a smaller, more laid back shop compared to the larger "corporate" stores. If you're looking for a frame, give them a call to see what the availability is, and if they have a model in your size (and maybe color), you're in luck. If not, prepare to wait.

FYI, I ordered a Blur 4X earlier this year, and had to wait a few months. Not the shop's fault, though, as SC was slow on the production side. When the bike came in, it was assembled and out the door the same day.

As for the shop and services, they have a sit down & chill atmosphere, a lot different from an in-your-face sales environment. I find different types of bikers hanging out there whom you could shoot the breeze with. Service is hit or miss, depending on who is wrenching that day, but I haven't had a probem at all with the different mechanics. It depends on your personality and what you're looking for in an LBS.

I encourage you to check them out, ask questions, and go from there. Overall, I'd recommend them.

·
Bionic Mtn Biker
222 Posts
Noticed your login...

...and it seems that you're into freeride. In that case, definitely check out West U, as they also cater to the freeride crowd. Ask for Gabe or James, both huckers and also know their stuff when it comes to freeride, DH, and urban. They sometimes plan road trips to different races in the Texas area. I've seen some bad @ss VP-Frees, Bullits, Hecklers, and V-10s built up at the shop. Haven't seen the Nomad yet, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.