Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know folks are going to say you need to "try" the bike and I get that but some input on sizing would help. So I'm just short of 5'10" but have short legs (inseam of 30.5 to 31)--in fact the Canyon sizing chart didn't believe me, LOL! I've ridden mediums before but not sure that is correct given the new bike geometries. I own a Turner Flux (the redesign 27.5 inch) which is a medium--Aluminum about 5 years old. My arm length is 22 (shoulder to middle of grip).

So I am set on a Trail/Enduro bike such as the Ripmo or YT Jeffsy or GG Smash, etc. So does it make sense to have a medium or large given the longer torso v. shorter legs? I'm sure some of you have the same build/same problem with being a "tweener" and can offer some advice with the understanding that trying it is probably best although that's tough to do and tough to compare unless you are riding the bikes simultaneously on the same terrain--at least for me because one day I feel tons of energy and feel I can tear up anything another day I'm sluggish and making little mistakes that send me careening off the bike which again makes it difficult to try a bike one day and get a feel for it compared to the same bike of a different size or different bike different sizes.

Then of course there is 29 v. 27.5 My riding style is I like climbing for exercise but tired of being beat up on my Turner and want something that will take the hits a bit better. My rides tend to be short--a hour to two hours mainly climbing on trail. For those familiar--the Luge, Whiting Ranch, Harding Truck Trail in So-Cal are my usual haunts.

In summary, very tough for "tweeners" to try bikes because the permutations of size of bike and wheel are doubled.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
Reach on a carbon Jeffsy 29 is 454 medium, 474 large. The aluminum has the old geo 425 medium, 445 large. Definately different.
Get the reach for your bike and compare it to the different bikes. You could probably ride a carbon medium Jeffsy. No to the aluminum.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Id go for the best standing fit. the longer torso will dictate that. But you can always run a longer stem.

Possible switch to 165mm cranks. This will make seat tube adjustment easier. Wide bars, stem length, crank swap... A good bike shop should be willing to help with these changes etc.

Take a look at the trek fuel and norco fluid. They fit very differently or did last year. Big changes in the new fluid model.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.