Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow clydes. Im a new rider in town I just bought my first bike today, its a trek 4500. the bikes feels very good except for the seat. I need help finding a super comfortable seat, ment for long rides. I don't care about looks or wieght, just pure comfort at the moment.
Im 6foot 285, if you guys have any suggestion any would be apperciated.

Also if anyone has any input on some really comfy grips, the stock ones are ok, but i would like to have better.

·
turtles make me hot
11,752 Posts
Are you riding with padded bike shorts? Makes a difference. People that aren't seriously into biking look at my seat and think it's too small, but with padded shorts, it's perfect.

I like Lizard Skins grips. Again, I use a grip that isn't too big along with a full finger glove that doesn't have too much padding. The two together feel great, but if I jump on the bike without gloves, the grips feel terrible by themselves.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
1) You will have some 'discomfort' for a few weeks at first. Everyone does. I call it 'bicycle butt'. As long as the pain is not really intense, give it a few weeks to a month of regular riding and see it it subsides. Chances are that you will be able to find a more comfy saddle, but you still need to get through the 'bicycle butt' phase.

2) Make sure your saddle is adjusted correctly. Your bike shop where you bought the bike should be able to set it correctly (height, fore/aft & level) and explain how to do it yourself. I'd recommend starting off with the saddle level and see if that works for you.

3) Everybody is a little different when it comes to saddle preference. Your local bike shop may have some demo saddles to try out. They may also have an "arse-o-meter' (a pad that measures the width of your sit bones that may steer you toward saddles of a particular width).

4) Resist the temptation of a cushy gel saddle. It's really about the correct shape moreso than the amount of padding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info.. I have a really big arse, and waist. My waist is 48inches, I can't find any riding shorts out there that will fit, if you guys have any suggestion let me know please. I will give it a few weeks like you said jeffj, thanks again for the replys.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
as one of large girth i feel your pain... I just ordered a pair of fatty shorts from nashbar today... my last pair died (ripped at the seam of the chamos... thats what i get from $20 shorts.. i can still use em as long as I ware shorts over em... but i order another pair anyway... cheapies again @ $30... but supposed full price is almost 80$...

the XXL is listed at 42-44... so i got the 3xl... these things do have a lot of stretch to em
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...pe=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Shorts

the bib shorts in 3xl are listed for 48-50...
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...pe=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Shorts...

http://www.love2pedal.com has 4xl bib shorts at a resonable price... don't know about the quality though...

big thing with cycling clothes is you have to see what they mean by their X sizing... i've seen some XXXL are for 40" waists... almost as confusing as understanding womens sizings... espeicaly with the vanity sizes and all haha

i've stuck with cheaper shorts so far... come spring i'll prob try out a pair of bib shorts... i hear they are great for us big guys... do a quick search on here (clyd forum) and you'll find some great things about em...

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I first started riding I wanted a bigger seat

I think most people do. The thing is that bigger is not better. The mtb saddles today are designed to fit your "sit bones". Different seats are a little wider and some have a little more padding, but the padding doesn't really help. As long as you get a saddle that fits your sit bones you will be fine. A pair of padded shorts and a couple of weeks and you will be golden. Like NY said, you need padded shorts, but you DON'T need one of those cruiser saddles. :nono: They are actually much more uncomfortable on a long ride. Plus if you get one of those big seats it is very hard to shift your weight forward, backward, or to the side.

Just as a reference, I have a WTB Laser seat. It fits my butt nicely but looks terribly small to most non-bikers. I can ride as long as my lungs and legs hold out (25 - 30 miles in the woods on a good day) and my arse is never sore. On the other hand, I can get on my wife's Scwinn Airdyne with the HUGE comfort looking saddle and can't spin 20 minutes without getting sore.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
similar story... i run a wtb shadow V (130mm wide) saddle on my main bike... it's great for me... although i prob could step to the next size up...

my redline's saddle is a bit wider and has a lot more cushion to it... and a slightly wider nose... on the trail it doesn't bug me (moving around the bike a lot more) but it KILLS me on a road ride where i'm not shifting my weight...

the problem with heavily padded seats is instead of it supporting you're sit bones it mushes up and puts more pressure on other areas... so you're supporting your body on soft tissue... ouch...

somone mentioned the sit-o-meter or whatever it's called... i'd def recommend checking one out... no one saddle is perfect for everyone... whic is why there are so many out there...

the super cushy ones are ment for VERY upright bikes... but like mentioned... those just kill me

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
try the trek/bontrager or specialized systems that actually measure your sit bones and get a saddle that 'fits'. Works amazing.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
WTB Laser is a bit wider.

WTB makes awesome seats! Two Cheeks up!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pure is a little more "cuppish"

Grips.
Get some Ergons.

Amazing to have 40% more of your hand surface area on the handlebars.
Better for your wrists and great to steer with.
No more hand or wrist fatigue. You'll love em!!

They come with our without bar ends. I'm not a fan of bar ends (hook a tree on some tight single track and you won't be either).

Most people I know have or are switching to Ergons.

·
mathlete
131 Posts
I agree with Eokorholm on the seats and grips

Ergon's are definitely great grips. I have a pair on my Reign. Even though they are geared for more XCish applications I've not had any trouble with them on technical trail sections or even when jumping. They took a few rides to dial in to get them just right. I had to mess with the tilt a bit

I'm not using the WTB laser but I'm using a WTB Pure. It is very comfortable.

and finally as NYrr496 pointed out padded bike shorts help. If you aren't down with the lycra thing you can always wear them under a pair of cargo shorts or any other shorts of your choosing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 for WTB saddles for bigger riders!
I bent the rails on a Pure V after 3-4 months of riding XC and AM stuff. I upgraded to the Power V (almost exactly the same shape, slightly longer nose, but with 8mm rails) and fell in love. The Pure V was comfortable, but the Power V is on another level. With padded shorts I get no sore butt at all after 3 hour rides.

On the grip front, I have big mitts. I used to have WTB MoTec's but found them wearing to quick and they were too small in my hand. http://www.wtb.com/products/components/grips/mototecclampon/

I upgraded to ODI Rogues and they are the shiznit. http://www.odigrips.com/roguelock-ongrip130mm.aspx Bigger for my hands, more comfortable and they are RED for the speed. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
hmmmm, never thought about that when it happened. I was just concerned about a stronger railed saddle. The Pure V was the seat that came with my new bike a few months ago. I might take it in and see if they can exchange it for another so I can have a spare if i need it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.