Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a brand new 07 Vanilla RLC, and the low-speed compression dial will not spin. Is this a defect, or am I doing something wrong here. I'd figure you would just be able to spin the blue dial and feel it click. Not the case here, its doesn't budge. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The LS compression dial and lockout lever are spring loaded. You MIGHT have a situation where the 3 set screws in the lockout lever have been overtightened resulting in the LSC dial, or both, from spinning properly (you should have 8 clicks in total)

Take the red rebound adj off (be sure to HOLD THE DIAL in a fixed position while turning the allen key CC - you can damage the cartridge if you let the dial turn)

With a 1.5mm allen key and unscrew the 3 setscrews a 1/4 turn. Remove the Lockout (carefull not to loose the 3 little balls inside!!) and the LS compression dial

Check the condition of the the little pin in the dampener top cap ( does it spring back up after pushing it down with your thumb?)

If the pin is fine, now for the re-assembly:

Install LSC with the groove of the bottom of the dial OVER the pin of the dampening topcap - rotate full CC untill it stops

Install lockout lever and turn / adj the dial CW untill it stops at the six o'clock position

Push down on the lockout lever and LSC dial until they stop against the top cap While holding down the two dials, LIGHTLY tighten the three set screws and then back off 1/4 turn - test the sytem for binding (this step might have been missed at the factory)

Put the red rebound dial back on - make sure to hold the red dial in place

Good Luck!

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Prior to my post, I took off the rebound knobe, but didn't have the right size allen for the small 3 bolts. Now I know how to properly do it. Quick run to the hardware store, I'll post again with my progress. I really appreciate you help!

·
Registered
895 Posts
np
FOX's website is an excellent source for help. Just take your time, follow their instructions and you should have your fork up and running in a bit!
Spazz

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it, almost

Got my allen wrench, and took her apart, back together and it works. Except when the rebound is on its last two clicks. Probably cause its being screwed down and tightened. However, I found that the rebound will click like 14 times, and not the stated 12 on a 32MM. So I am a bit confused.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Those numbers of clicks are not always exact in my experience. 14 vs. 12 is probably not a problem...unless you can tell the damping is not functioning from minimum to maximum.

·
Registered
895 Posts
aka AK said:
Got my allen wrench, and took her apart, back together and it works. Except when the rebound is on its last two clicks. Probably cause its being screwed down and tightened. However, I found that the rebound will click like 14 times, and not the stated 12 on a 32MM. So I am a bit confused.
Like TNC said, don't stess over how many clicks you have - 12 or 14 As long as there is a noticeable difference in you rebound adj. that is all that matters

Just to clarify the problem you are now having. Are you saying the LSC and lockout will not turn when you have the rebound adj on its last two clicks? (full CW)

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cort said:
Just to clarify the problem you are now having. Are you saying the LSC and lockout will not turn when you have the rebound adj on its last two clicks? (full CW)
Just the LSC will not turn while on the last two rebound adj clicks. I think the extra two clicks tighten everything down. The lock out works fine. I don't think it shouldl be an issue. I will have to mount the fork and test it out. Since the fork is brand new,I didn't want to cut the steer tube and what not until I knew the LSC was working.

·
Registered
895 Posts
akaAK

I think down the road everthing will start to break in a bit and turn a bit smoother for you.
As long as all the adjustments work, your good to go - enjoy the fork!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.