Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant get it to go in straight at the beginning. Any suggestions
Sometimes i can get it in a lil off should i do this at then try to pry it to centre?
Help needed fast or ill kill someone!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
try this...

use a long-ish bolt to thread into the star nut...the park tool is great, but if you don't have one and are doing it guerilla-style, use this longish bolt as you would the park tool. take a rubber mallet to the head of the bolt and bang 'er in. and yeah, I have found that if it goes in a little crooked you can center it with a screwdriver or even the bolt it self, just don't bang it in too far! you may want to give the star spanky a little "coaxing" in a vice to bend the flanges a bit more - it goes in easier. best option: get a HEADLOCK by Azonic...no more star spanky, easy assembly of headset, and added security. good luck
gabe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got the ****ing thing in!!! took me two hours to do it but finally i stopped caring and i closed my eyes an it went in perfectly. I couldnt believe it once i opened my eyes :eek:
So if you installing the damn starnut just close ur eyes, get a hammer and hammer the damn thing as hard as you can ... if it doesnt work, too bad it worked for me ;)
Thank you and good bye

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have made a mess of everyone I have ever tried to install. My advice: If you buy a fork, have the shop slap one in for you. They will probably even do it for free. If you need to cut the steer tube, I is very easy to push the nut farther down.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
bigdrunk said:
I have made a mess of everyone I have ever tried to install. My advice: If you buy a fork, have the shop slap one in for you. They will probably even do it for free. If you need to cut the steer tube, I is very easy to push the nut farther down.
Just put 2-3mm of spacers on the starnut, now thread in the top cup. YOu now have the star-nut with the top cup tight on it but seating on the spacers a few mm from the top of the starnut. Hammer in until the top cup seat evenly on the steerer tube.

Fooolproof, it cannot go in other than straight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.