Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for a 10 speed rear derailleur to replace the older XTR rear derailleur on my daughter's bike. From center of pulley to center of pully it measures 2.7 inches. And would I be able to put a Shimano road bike derailleur on this, or a SRAM rear derailleur (using a STX rear shifter).

Details: I got a Wolfstooth 42T gear for my 5 year old's 20" wheeled bike, along with a bunch of used 10 speed components from Ebay. The XT rear derailleur was a SGS, and way too long, and would have hit the first rock we would have seen, so I put the old XTR derailleur back on it, and she was able to shift to 1-2-4-6-8-10, since the new 10 speed shifts are close to twice the jump. I want to give her access to all her gears, because the 42T was a huge success in terms of climbing the steeper (well for a 5 year old) hills we found in Moab and Fruita this past weekend.

Thanks for any help - BS

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
If you have 10 speed MTB Shimano components then you have to use a 10 speed MTB Shimano derailleur.
The derailleur you are measuring would likely be a short cage. My SLX long measures 100mm, medium SG 80mm.
The long cage you have would likely work fine - almost every mountain bike in the last 30 years came from the factory with a long cage derailleur like that. If you are running more than a single front ring the short won't work.

If you want a short cage probably the easiest and most cost effective to get would be the Zee. Make sure you get the free ride version.
Shimano Zee M640 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles
Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slash, thanks for the response.

The only problem is that the long cage that I have is going on a 20" wheel, so it would be only an inch or two off the ground when fully extended, and it won't survive with the way my daughter likes to launch off rocks.

I'll check the Zee, but is it a pig? I am trying to keep my daughter's bike as lightweight as possible.

Thanks again - BS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.