Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Back in Scotland
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Im planning on doing a season (7 months) at a BC ski resort starting in November. Originally I thought of going to Alberta as Ive been there several times before, but then I though if I went to BC, as most of the resorts have bike parks during the summer season, I could stay on for the summer season too! I want to stay in the Rockies so Ive narrowed it down to Panorama, Fernie and Kicking Horse. Ive skied at Panorama and Kicking horse, but what I need to know is out of the three resorts, which one comes out on top for biking?

Thanks for any advice!

K

·
Registered
7 Posts
fakewade said:
OK, Im planning on doing a season (7 months) at a BC ski resort starting in November. Originally I thought of going to Alberta as Ive been there several times before, but then I though if I went to BC, as most of the resorts have bike parks during the summer season, I could stay on for the summer season too! I want to stay in the Rockies so Ive narrowed it down to Panorama, Fernie and Kicking Horse. Ive skied at Panorama and Kicking horse, but what I need to know is out of the three resorts, which one comes out on top for biking?

Thanks for any advice!

K
go to whistler

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Fernie.

fakewade said:

Thanks for any advice!

K
If you have narrowed the choices down to only three I would consider Fernie. All three have good riding areas. Fernie has a good freeride hill and lots of epic riding terrain around the townsite.

Fernie gets a lot more snow than Panorama and is known for big Powder days in the winter. The ski resort itself is rated in the top 10 in North America and is one of the fastest growing resorts. There is over 100 trails and 5 alpine bowls. The town of Fernie has a good vibe as well. The growth of the resort carries over to the bike resort on the mountain in the summer and it keeps getting bigger and better every year.

Fernie is a good central location as it is close to Panorama, Cranbrook, and not too far from the Rossland and Nelson areas, which are as good as it gets in my book for all around riding. Fernie and Kicking Horse are around 3.5hrs from Calgary with Panorma being a little closer. Drive time depends on weather and how fast you go.

·
Back in Scotland
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot Ronny,

Sounds like good advice, Ive heard about the powder days at Fernie and I never thought about how close it was to over bike meccas! Have you ever ridden around Golden? I think Fernie would be the best of both worlds but Im still curious about Kicking Horse / Golden.

Thanks again

K

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
Kicking Horse...

looks like a cool resort. My wife and I stopped in Golden on the way back from Roger's Pass. I've never skied or biked there, but we ate in the Golden Tap room (good beer) and they had a map of the bike trails on the wall in the bathroom. I would like to get up there in the summer for some riding. The bike trails looked sweet. Plus, if you got any days off during the winter you could head up to Roger's pass. The backcountry sliding is incredible.

I've never been to Fernie, but I've heard that the character of Fernie has changed (become more of a resort town). It might make it easier to get a job.

Have fun! If I was single, I would try to dirtbag as many resorts as I could for a few years.

·
Back in Scotland
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gregz12 said:
drop in season 1 has episodes in both towns
Ive got S1 and S2 of Drop In. The boys only seem to ride high alpine descents when in Golden. Perhaps there are no local trails there? Surely there would have to be some? Fernie definaltey seems sweet from what Ive seen on Drop In S1

K

·
Back in Scotland
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
intheways said:
looks like a cool resort. My wife and I stopped in Golden on the way back from Roger's Pass. I've never skied or biked there, but we ate in the Golden Tap room (good beer) and they had a map of the bike trails on the wall in the bathroom. I would like to get up there in the summer for some riding. The bike trails looked sweet. Plus, if you got any days off during the winter you could head up to Roger's pass. The backcountry sliding is incredible.

I've never been to Fernie, but I've heard that the character of Fernie has changed (become more of a resort town). It might make it easier to get a job.

Have fun! If I was single, I would try to dirtbag as many resorts as I could for a few years.
Thanks for the info!

And big thumbs up on use of the word "dirtbag"! Perhaps the most used word from Drop In S2!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
fakewade said:
Ive got S1 and S2 of Drop In. The boys only seem to ride high alpine descents when in Golden. Perhaps there are no local trails there? Surely there would have to be some? Fernie definaltey seems sweet from what Ive seen on Drop In S1

K
There is a lot of trails in the Golden area. The Moonrakers trail system is xc oriented and the Mount 7 trails are mostly freeride trails. Here is are a couple of links that describes some of the riding in Golden and Fernie.

http://www.ferniefattire.com/bestofwest.htm
www.go2rockies.com/businesses/mountainbikingtrails.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.