Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm a new member here and, this is my first posting! I need your help in choosing one of the two Retro MTB's described below. Both are in virtually NOS condition and are priced the same. The chosen bike will only be ridden on leisure rides and will be collected and will never be ridden in rough terrain-as I'll wish to keep it in mint condition!:

1)1988 Ritchey Ascent Comp: This bike is Red with a black fork. Although it is a beautiful bike, one negative is the Shimano XT rear U-brakes! I've never had this type of brakes before-but, being obsolete, and hard to adjust, I would have much preferred cantilever rear brakes instead! Also, even though I'd rather have a 7 speed SIS drivetrain, I could tolerate the Shimano 6 speed SIS system on this bike(Or, 18 total possible speeds).

2)1991 Schwinn Waterford built, Paramount PDG MTB: This is a true Waterford non-Series PDG MTB! The frame is lugged and silver soldered. It has straight chainstays and an XC PRO drivetrain, XC PRO hubs and pedals. The color is Neon Yellow-which was one of twelve possible colors that was only available on the Waterford built Paramount MTB's! This is a 7 speed bike(Or, 21 total possible speeds). This is a pretty rare bike-since, most of the Paramount MTB's normally seen, are the Series bikes made Asia(Although some of the Series 90 MTB's were lugged in Japan)!

Let me have your opinions pro or con as to which of the above two MTB's would get your vote as the one I should choose-and, please give your reasons? Although the final choice is entirely mine, your input will help me greatly! Thanks in advance!

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Those waterfords are prone to cracking at the seat cluster. Examine the frame VERY carefully before buying. They do seem to be a finite lifespan frame.

If you can deal with that, it's all about the PDG.

If you want a bike that'll last, grab the Ritchey.

-Richard

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
banks said:
U Brakes are not a negative.
+1

By far the easiest mountain bike brake in the history of the sport to set up and adjust. If you don't think so it's time someone showed you. Nothing is easier unless you're using the Fred Flintstone/Barney Rubble braking method.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
eastcoaststeve said:
Buy a minty fresh Klein, put semi-slick tires on it, ride it around your development, and then hang it in your garage when you get bored....

Leave the Ritchey and Paramount to someone who will really ride them.

(sorry, I'm feelin' a bit crabby this morning...)

Steve
+1. Nothing irritates me more on these forums than seeing bikes that aren't used for their intended purpose.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
Yes! I vote for a Klein! Those are total collector items! They come with cantilever brakes too! For a total of 2 possible brakes!

Just ribbing you. Not sure why you are asking. If you have enough money to buy one and hang it up and do nothing with it, I'm sure you can swing both.

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
sfgirlonbike said:
Yes! I vote for a Klein! Those are total collector items! They come with cantilever brakes too! For a total of 2 possible brakes!

Just ribbing you. Not sure why you are asking. If you have enough money to buy one and hang it up and do nothing with it, I'm sure you can swing both.
either that or a Fat Chance Yo Eddy. those are the best bikes to show off.

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
banks said:
U Brakes are not a negative.
To some they are. I tend to agree with Sheldon Brown regarding the serious drawbacks of U-brakes. This buyer has certain specifications they desire, and just because U-brakes don't appear in the positive column, doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. To each their own.

Anyway, I digress. Buy what fits you and makes you smile.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
1)I had always read that rear chainstay brakes were not favored over cantilever brakes(Example: SHELDON BROWN). Also indicated was that cantilevers were much easier to adjust and the U-brakes had a tendency to climb up on the rim and destroy tires quite frequently, as the brake pads wore down. Also, problems with getting the rear wheel out due to the caliper arms not spreading enough. There were other reasons mentioned-but, supposedly most bike shops hated working on rear chainstay mounted u-brakes. Of course, I'm after the truth regarding these indicated statements from owners of this type of u-brakes?
2)No, I haven't made up my mind as I like both the Ritchey Ascent and the Paramount PDG-but, for different reasons. The Neon Yellow color with purple accents on the forks and on the chainstays isn't as attractive to me, as the red Ritchey with the black fork.
3)I thought that the Ritchey Ascent Comp wasn't appreciated like the P-Series Ritchey MTB's and therefore not being very collectible? And, I had imagined that just being an obsoleted 18 speed bike would have caused everyone here to frown on this? Another thing that threw me off regarding the Ritchey, was the comment from the bike shop owner, who owns this Ritchey MTB, where he told me. that he didn't know why I'd want a bike like this? Although he didn't clarify his reasoning, I had assumed that this must have been mostly due to the rear u-brakes?
4)I know that later, whenever the Waterford built PDG MTB's were built with even thinner, oversized tubing, that there were some problems with frame cracking at the seat tube on the bottom bracket. But, the earlier PDG bikes like the one I'm considering to buy, used thicker and smaller tube diameters. I've also read that a sharp point was added to the later lugs which had tended to cause the frame to crack on the newer oversized tubing.
5)The choice is specific to either the mint 1988 Ritchey Ascent Comp or the mint Paramount PDG, as there are no Klein's or Fat Chance's or Yo-Eddie's bikes available to me!
6)It's important to me, for the members here to keep inputing any Pro's or Con's which will aid me greatly in coming to the right decision between these two MTB's! I'm sure that most of you avid mountain biker's or, collector's, have more experience than I have and your great knowledge or experience inputed here, will be very helpful to my cause!
7)Since both of the aforementioned MTB's are now "Classic" bikes in mint condition, is the reason I don't want to take them out to beat them up in mountain biking riding! I know that whatever choice I'll be making will be a compromise-but, I want to pick the best overall choice between these two bikes-with all things Pro & Con taken into consideration? Thanks for all of your input so far!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you really aren't going to ride it in "rough terrain" brakes and their adjustment seem to be not as important than if you were going to. If the intention is to have a show piece its really not something to worry about. Not to rag on your reason for purchase but the reason shop owner asked why you want this bike is because you can buy some pretty cool new bikes with disc brakes that would make nice show pieces as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chefmiguel:

Yes, I think that your reasoning could be correct regarding what that bike shop owner had told me, in terms of picking the Ritchey Ascent Comp over the Paramount(Waterford)PDG. Thanks!

Personally, I'm not into the newer mountain bikes-as I like the Retro MTB's better. I already own a mint 1992 Bridgestone MB-1 and, I want to add either the 1988 Ritchey Ascent Comp or the 1991 Waterford PDG to go with this bike!

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
mb2good said:
chefmiguel:

Yes, I think that your reasoning could be correct regarding what that bike shop owner had told me, in terms of picking the Ritchey Ascent Comp over the Paramount(Waterford)PDG. Thanks!

Personally, I'm not into the newer mountain bikes-as I like the Retro MTB's better. I already own a mint 1992 Bridgestone MB-1 and, I want to add either the 1988 Ritchey Ascent Comp or the 1991 Waterford PDG to go with this bike!
to go where? since you won't ride them it does not matter which one is a better bike. buy the one w/ the best color..

1 - 20 of 271 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.