Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need help improving the shifting of a Trek 730. I bought this bike new and still use it as a road bike. (It was my offroad bike until I bought the Stumpjumper two years ago.:thumbsup:) It will no longer shift to the largest chain ring in the front, and the rear shifting is sloppy. Specifics:

Front—Exage 300LX derailleur with a Grip Shift SH-F3
Rear—Deaore LX (7 gears) derailleur with a Grip Shift SH-R1

I have unsuccessfully attempted, multiple times, to adjust the front derailleur to get the chain up on the largest ring: repositioned the derailleur up and down the tube, pulled the cable taught, you name it.

The rear shifts into all gears, but the detentes in the grip shifter are worn out as well as the stops at the extreme positions. So while I can hit all the gears, it is pretty sloppy.

I am comfortable doing my own wrenching but do not know what components are compatible with the front chain rings and rear cassette. Or I suppose I could take it back to the Trek dealer who may even still have parts for it. Thoughts?
Thank you,
Jay

·
Registered
323 Posts
You could try new cables and housing, the front wont get to the big ring, and the limit screws are set appropriately, the cable could be stretched out and the housing could be worn limiting the movement of the cable. For the rear, new cables and housing could help, but if the shifter is worn out there may not be much hope in getting precise shifting back. Though it looks like sram still makes a 7 spd grip shift that is compatible with shimano deraillures.
Amazon.com: SRAM MRX Comp Bicycle Twist Shifter Set: Sports & Outdoors

If the new cables and housing don't work for the front, you could have bent the derailleur cage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received and installed the above recommended grip shifter but am still unable to shift up to the largest ring in front. So, I figure I will replace the front derailleur. The tube it mounts to measures 28.8mm. What size derailleur should I order: 28.6mm or 31.8? Any suggestions for a make and model?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
323 Posts
The 28.6 would *probably* fit, but you can use shims with the larger sized one, and some even come with them. I would go with what ever one is the price you are comfortable paying, they are all a step up from what you currently have, and not all worn out. ;-). Take a look around and see what is on sale now.

This one would probably work well, and it has all the need shims to make it fit about anything. You may be able to find a better price on something.
Universal Cycles -- Shimano FD-M311 Altus Front Derailleur

1 - 6 of 6 Posts