Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two older square taper cranksets. One is a RaceFace Turbine, the other I bought a year or so ago from a guy on Ebay who listed them as RaceFace cranks, but it's pretty obvious they are not (I didn't pay that much, so no big deal). That said, they are CNC-machined and mimic the Turbines in a lot of ways. Problem is, they have no markings on the cranks or rings, and I'm really curious who made 'em. They aren't Kookas and I'm pretty sure they aren't White Industries or Sugino since those were mostly forged and not machined like these are.

Anyway, take a look at the pics. The ones in question are the gold anodized cranks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
looks like Race Face to me

They sure look like Race Face to me, race Face had a few different styles to their cranks during the years, they would make changes to the machining every couple of years. It could be the picture quality but they look powdercoated to me, anyways as long as pedal threads/BB interface and spider tabs are in good condition its a great deal.

if they are infact anodized, they would loose their logo when re anodized and I doubt some one would pay to have a logo re-laser etched

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, they're definitely anodized, kind of a gold color. Maybe someone re-anodized them. And back in those days, I think RaceFace only made the Turbine model (and a road model which is very similar and quite rare). In other words, there wasn't a lower-end RaceFace model back in the '90s.

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks mtnbiker72. After comparing the cranks to the photo you posted, it appears they are indeed RF LPs (with crappy aftermarket rings on them!). The machining is identical to the pic. What threw me off was the other RF crankset I have that is markedly different. Scooter916 was right, they must have changed their machining from time to time.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.