Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am kinda new to mountain biking and have only ridden trails around Albuquerque. I am planing to head to Windsor tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had a map and could point me in the direction of where to park. We are going in 2 vehicles so we can park on at the bottom and drive to the top. I just dont know where either of the parking areas are. Also.. is the trail pretty straight foward. I would hate to miss a tuen and not end up back at the lower parking lot as planned:p

any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lower parking: from Passeo de Peralta turn left onto Washington which becomes Bishops Lodge rd. drive a few miles to a right left zig-zag and turn right onto that dirt road (maybe CR 72A ?). if you get to the white boulder (white boulder lane you went too far)Park anywhere down the dirt road(only where the signs say OK thought) the trail comes out about 1/2 mile up. Drive back up Bishops Lodge and turn left onto Artist Rd, there are probably signs for the ski area. Go up the hill toward the ski area about 14 miles. Top parking is the dirt lot just beyond the paved view point lookout. Trail drops down hill to the south of the dirt lot (This lot is also the nor-ski area). Trail should be somwhat easy to follow since it keeps going downhill and stays in the main drainage - if you start climbing for more than 1/8 mile you might have taken the wrong branch - most branches go straight I think. When you get near the bottom you'll go through a fence then shortly after there are 3 RR ties that you ride over, around the left turn you cross a bridge(for local driveways) and find the sorta hidden trail to the right between fences - don't go uphill up the road or you get over near Bishops Lodge. When you find the trail between the fences you're only 1/8 mile or so from the end, you'll cross the stream on a small bridge and be out on the ropad where the cars are parked.
Good Luck, fun ride and not too hard in a downhill direction, Be respectful of any hikers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In out and done... fun trail....not so hot if you expect to get any exercise but a blast. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you joking? If you ride from the bottom of the Winsor and and go to the ski area it is quite a stout workout. You must be insanely fit to say that.
Heck... going up from the bottom would kill me....lol...:p
This was the first time on the trail and we just went down from the ski area with a quick detour through Borrego and Bear Wallow then to the bottom. I think going up from the bottom to Borrego then looping back around through Bear Wallow and back would be a great climb then a fun decent. Next time......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Heck... going up from the bottom would kill me....lol...:p
This was the first time on the trail and we just went down from the ski area with a quick detour through Borrego and Bear Wallow then to the bottom. I think going up from the bottom to Borrego then looping back around through Bear Wallow and back would be a great climb then a fun decent. Next time......:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Ahh I see. Glad you enjoyed the ride. Hope you didn't startle any hikers. ;)

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Pfft, that's the wimp way.

Real men ride from Santa Fe, up the Winsor from Tesuque, to Aspen Vista, up to Ravens Ridge and then descend down Rio En Medio, riding back to 2nd Street Brewery. Twice. In the dark. Standing up in a canoe.

Are you joking? If you ride from the bottom of the Winsor and and go to the ski area it is quite a stout workout. You must be insanely fit to say that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts