Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so sold my XC bike on eBay, and the buyer has been a nightmare. Even better is that this is my first eBay sale ever, so I have no idea what to do.

I had a very solid ad, 10 professionally taken pictures, all specs listed correct. Bike was a season old, that was specified, listed as used condition.

So the first day, he messages me asking for a small refund because the tires "didn't have enough Stan's in them". I have evidence of the tires holding air when it left my hands...

Then second day I get a message saying he's saying that the chain isn't the one specified, random complaint, but I also have pictorial evidence of it having the right chain when it left the shop.

Now three days later, he sends a message saying the lockout on the REBA doesn't work.... Once again, was fine when it left.... He wants a refund for the fork, and the way he's talking, it's seems like he's no newbie to opening eBay claims.

Anybody have any advice on what I can do to calm the situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
826 Posts
Tell him to send the bicycle back at his expense and you will refund his money minus the shipping fee. If he's going to be that much of a jerk. Did he get a good deal? You really don't have anything to lose because you don't have any feedback. When I sell complete bikes I do it on craigslist, you don't have to deal with the shipping and the buyer sees exactly what he's getting.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He got a pretty decent deal. Rockhopper 29er with a 9 speed XT group, king hubs and BB, carbon seat post, shimano brakes... Bike was 13 months old, for $1100.

I asked him for pictures of the chain and he's avoiding the issue, returning to the fork. He also said the closest bike shop is over 15 miles away, and a quick maps search of his address shows that there are 5 within a 7 mile radius... fishy.

I guarantee you if I ask him to ship it back at his expense it won't happen. It seems like he's really trying to f*ck me here... :madman:

·
Registered
826 Posts
He personally doesn't have very many options if you offered to take the bike back and him pay for shipping, eBay and PayPal will see that as part of your communication dialogue. If he has been a difficult buyer eBay will be aware of that. Let him file the claim.
He knew he was buying a used bike you supplied pictures you're in the right maybe you can communicate with eBay tell them about the problems he is causing. What is his bottom line, he wants hundred dollars back? You're not going to buy anew fork for a used bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's asked me to refund him for the fork, and then he'll mail it back to me, and I fix the fork, and return it. All at my expense. That's not happening. I'm going to offer him a return, but not until he sends me pictures. If he has issues easily resolvable with a simple photo, and refuses to send me one, I feel like ebay will see that as a red flag. hopefully.

Looking at his seller profile, looks like he parts out bikes or something. He definitely knows his way around ebay, and bikes.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Just tell him to piss off. He is trying to scam you.

If he leaves negative feedback, he leaves negative feedback.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Flea Bay almost always sides with the buyer however in your situation this is the a good thing. If the buyer opens a dispute and claims the bike is not as advertised, eBay would say to return the bike for a full refund. Stick to your guns.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Tough situation - has he opened a formal case?

Best you can do is show in your communications with the buyer that you want to work it out, and are acting in good faith. If he is asking for something unreasonable, don't be a dick about it, just say you don't think that's fair and it was working when you sent it. This will help you if/when eBay looks at the case and has to make a judgment. Do all communications through the message center on eBay so that it's all documented. Keep corroborating what you're sending in messages with references back to the pictures and detail in your listing. Ask him for pictures and even video (for the lock out issue). If there is a track record of this for the buyer eBay will spot that in the history and take it into account. But despite all that unfortunately eBay has the tough job of adjudicating thousands of these situations where someone is going to be unhappy. Sounds like in this case he is trying to manipulate the system.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
He hasn't opened a formal case yet. i've asked for more detailed info on the fork(pressures, rider weight, how he is testing lockout...)but no response. in the second half of that message I said "Mulling this over further, and seeing how many issues were having here, I also want to say:

Sorry that you're disappointed. I'll gladly accept returns on this bicycle. Please send it to ( ) and I'll refund cost of the bike upon reciept of bike number (serial). Shipping, should be tracked and have signature confirmation just as it was sent (over $750 eBay). Deductions will be made if the bicycle isn't properly packaged, or isn't in exactly the same condition as it was shipped.

Thank you."

Now if he opens a claim he really has no ground to stand on.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Hey. A few things. I wouldn't even pay return shipping. He's being unreasonable. Secondly, are you sure you want your full address on a public forum?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've sold on ebay with no issues, sounds like this guy is trying to run a number to save more money on the bike by making claims hoping that you wouldn't be savvy enough to realise what he is doing.
if the bike was in good condition and you have the piccies to show it then tell him to piss off and better luck next time

·
Registered
509 Posts
It sounds like the buyer is trying to scam you IMO.

Did you setup your auction for no returns? From the description of your auction, you fairly described and presented your bike. If the buyer doesn't agree, then they should not have bid on your item, or at least asked questions previous to bidding.

Do you have a link to your completed auction? Maybe give folks a view of what the buyer saw.

·
Registered
56 Posts
He has to pay for return shipping.

We bought a bike on eBay that was in much worst condition than advertised and not the correct model as stated. Filed a claim and won, but we still paid for return shipping.

·
Registered
509 Posts
After reading your ad and looking at the pictures, I believe the buyer is either having buyer's remorse or trying to scam you. Your auction has lots of detail, and attempts to give buyers as much info as possible.

Under no circumstances would I offer partial or full refunds for specific parts of the bike. I would allow the buyer to communicate with EBAY and attempt to prove that you attempted to defraud buyers with your auction. You could even contact EBAY proactively and let them know what is going on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yea, sounds like he is trying to nickle and dime you to death. The chain isn't right? So he is astute enough to know the difference in chains thru visual inspection , but doesn't know that a fork lock out doesn't make the fork rigid?
In all my years selling I only ever ran into one bad actor, and because I had great photos I won my case. But it sounds like he is hoping for you to give him a sizable partial refund to make the problem go away.
Be fair, be reasonable, save all your emails, but unless he is will to return the bike, he can just suck it.
Oh and the nearest bike shop is 15 miles away? I'm
Betting the closer ones won't deal with his **** anymore.
Bill

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep that's the ad! What you guys can't see is our correspondence before the sale, where asked specific questions like "exactly how many miles are on it" and how new the upgraded parts were etc. I answered all of those truthfully, as I feel the price was pretty decent, so not much to hide.

Hey. A few things. I wouldn't even pay return shipping. He's being unreasonable. Secondly, are you sure you want your full address on a public forum?
Thanks for reminding me of that! Haha it was my work address so it's no biggie, but still...

I'm not refunding his shipping, and he's paying for return shipping. It'll stay that way unless ebay tells me otherwise. He still hasn't responded which tells me he probably doesn't have ground to start on. Honestly, I hope he returns it. He really doesn't deserve what he got. Either way, I'll be calling ebay support to report him and I'll be sending them my proof that the bike was as described, in hopes some action is taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just noticed that the buyer already left you positive feedback for the auction. Buyer shot themselves in the foot by doing that. I wouldn't even offer a return at this point.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts